Thursday, July 7, 2022

Top 11 Songs of the Month ~ July 2022~ Скубут, Rodja, Minuit Machine, SDWTD

 

The time has come once again to collect my favorite songs of the past 30 days. I’ve been quite busy with my Year Mixes once again as explained in my blog that went up on July 4th but will be continuously updated. The next thing I have to do is construct a huge Youtube playlist for it. Just little neurodivergent activities I do to stay sane. But, I decided to still do my monthly tradition, if only for my own records. I will probably keep things a bit brief this time, just because I’m busy, but I have a few commentaries I want to do here. We’ll see, I never quite feel like doing these blogs when I start but once I get going I enjoy it and I start writing essays. 


This month we have tracks from all over Europe, the US, South America, and even two from the Caucasus region. Most of the music is brand new barring a few picks that are a couple years old. It’s pretty consistently goth music this month, no out-of-genre experiences, unless you count Ministry. 



Скубут ~ Бутылка



I say it again, stop smoking, kid, you’re going to ruin your nice voice! Anyway, my favorite Ukrainian-Austrian singer (not Russian as I previously thought) has a new album out, with this music video rendered in beautiful VHS picture quality. The album title is kind of a mouthful for poor English-speaking me. But I actually have a Russian (and an Armenian) keyboard on my tablet pretty much for the sole purpose of finding and spelling Russian-language post-punk songs. It’s Безжизненный. Lifeless, in English. 
Find the new album here:



Rodja ~ Empty



That’s a scary-looking dog. This song was released just last month. I like this song even better than Rodja’s “No Love for This System”, which I covered last month and liked mostly for its post-apocalyptic Mickey and Goofy on the cover. The song is kind of existential. 

You can find it here, with lyrics:



Minuit Machine ~ Lion in a Cage



This song is a single for Minuit Machine’s upcoming album in November (feels so far away right now). I’m always happy to hear more from this band. They seem like they’re just getting better and better.

Find it here:


Delta Komplex - Woods



Delta Komplex is from Liepzig, Germany. Too bad I don’t live there or I could email them for a local pickup of their vinyl release. But if you happen to live there, you can do that. It says on their Bandcamp page. I have been greatly enjoying the new Delta Komplex album. A lot of great tracks on there besides this one. But this song is my favorite of them. 

The album Veils can be found here.



Slow Danse With The Dead - Maggots and Worms



Slow Danse with the Dead continues to provide consistent dark entertainment with monthly releases like this catchy tune. And coupled with the song “Maggots” by Gwar, I now have back to back songs about maggots on my MP3 player when I listen through my songs alphabetically. How fun. If I had a nickel for every song I knew about maggots I’d have two nickels, but it’s weird that it happened twice.



Node ~ Fish



This video was just recently uploaded on July 5th, which brought it to my attention, although the album has been out for a few months now. I only recently dug it up on Bandcamp. It’s an Armenian group, I’ve covered them here before. I don’t know if I would describe it as coldwave, perhaps, I’m not always good at genres, but their music sounds gothy enough for me. It is my patriotic duty to spread the word about this band. 


This is off their album It Depends on Our Feelings, released on New Years Day this year. Their other tracks I’ve featured here before, “Colors”, “Brain Fog” and “Molly’s Lips” are also on this album.


Fearing - Carried Away



Fearing is a band out of Oakland, California; yet another band like Ötzi and Mystic Priestess that makes me jealous that this new post-punk scene seemingly didn’t exist yet back when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt like the only goth on Earth sometimes over there. And as soon as I leave, the scene springs up. Anyway, this music video was released a couple weeks ago, the album Desolate came out last April. 



Tatil 22 - შვებას ვპოვებ




This is a post-punk band from Tblisi, Georgia. The country, not the US state, if that wasn’t obvious. Armenia’s northern neighbor. I live in Florida, so no matter if I’m here or in my homeland I always have Georgia as a northern neighbor. Georgians and Armenians don’t always see eye-to-eye thanks to Russian and Turkish geopolitics pitting them against one another, but I like this band a lot regardless, just like I like Georgian khinkali. Why can’t we all just get along? Their alphabet is really pretty as well (it says “Shvebas Vpoveb”, I don’t know what that means, but someone in the comments did translate the lyrics to English). I don’t know what the goth scene is like in Georgia, but this band sounds like it was influenced by the Russian post-punk scene. 

Here’s their Bandcamp if you want to have a look around.



Noromakina ~ Vortex




Noromakina is a band out of Columbia. They have some extremely catchy music. This song is off the album Vile Vortex, a very fresh release from the 1st of July. This song is very fast-paced, gets stuck in your head easily. Another song I like off this album that almost made the list instead was “Grave”, also worth checking out. 


https://noromakina.bandcamp.com/album/vile-vortex



Ministry - Good Trouble



This was my July 4th song this year, because it really sucks how the US is undergoing a gradual fascist coup that no one seems to be able to do anything about. I’m a bigger fan of Ministry’s early 80s synth music, but 2021’s Moral Hygiene is a very solid album with a lot of great songs. It’s not pure noise, there’s still enough melody for me. The opening track “Alert Level” was like the perfect 2020 song at the time it came out as a single, and unfortunately the album is only becoming more relevant as the 2020s grind on. 




My Own Burial - Boiling Rain



My Own Burial is a band out of Barcelona, Spain. This song came out in 2019 but I didn’t hear it until recently. It has a really cool backing synth throughout, a solid work of goth rock all around. It’s dark and danceable. ”Boiling Rain” reminds me of the rain in Florida, where it can rain and still be chokingly hot and humid at the same time. Rescue me from this state, please.


No comments:

Post a Comment