Saturday, February 1, 2020

Let’s Learn Ancient Urartian!


Urartian Cuneiform, taken at Erebuni during my 2014 trip to Armenia.

            The ancient Kingdom of Urartu, also known interchangeably as the Kingdom of Ararat, Biainili (as they called themselves) or Van, was a mighty kingdom to the north of Assyria, stretching across the modern borders of Armenia, Turkey, Azerbaijan, and parts of Iraq and Iran, existing from about 860-585 B.C. by most estimations. “Urartu” was a name given to them by the Assyrians and what the kingdom is most known by today. It’s best understood as an Armenian kingdom, directly preceding the Orontid dynasty of Armenian rulers under the authority of the Median Empire and the earliest traceable mentions of Armenia from Persian sources in the 500’s B.C. The language they spoke is of Indo-European origin, and basically the only living language directly related to it is modern Armenian. They used a cuneiform alphabet, much like Assyria.   

Since my late teens, I’ve wanted to write a historical fantasy novel set in Urartu. For about 15 years I’ve worked on it off and on; I have a finished draft that I’m hoping to publish. When I went to Armenia in 2015 in an internship with Birthright Armenia, it was a perfect chance to do research for it (I plan to go through the journal I kept during this trip and publish entries from it on this blog throughout the year). I visited Erebuni, an ancient Urartian fortress located in Armenia’s capital, Yerevan, several times while I was there. At one time I was going through the library of books in the Birthright Armenia office and found an archeology textbook about Urartu. I wish I knew the title and author now, but I sadly neglected to save it, and it was almost five years ago now. But it was one of the only books on Urartu I found in Armenia that was in English. It had a few Urartian words, phrases and names of deities in it. I copied several Urartian words into my notebook so that I could pepper them throughout the fantasy novel I want to write and make it more authentic. 

The notebook itself was quite a find, with Tatev monastery on the cover, and only 50 drams (that’s about 10 cents in US money). I’d been using it for my Armenian language classes. I felt like copying these notes onto the blog, mostly for my own private amusement but also for anyone who might just be interested in learning a few words from a nearly 3,000-year-old, long-dead language. Who knows if this notebook will last forever, so I might as well copy and preserve this information somewhere. This is in the interest of preservation. And if any archeologists read this and see any mistakes, or perhaps know of any Urartian deities not on the list, go ahead and let me know in the comments. It’ll be a learning experience.


Armenian – English Pronunciation – English Translation

Words
Բելի – Beli – Weapon
Քումեմուշէ – Koomemoosheh – Harmless
Գունուշինիէի – Goonooshini-eh-i -Military
Գազուլի – Gazooli – Wonderful
Շուրի – Shuri – Sword
Բիայինիլի – Biainili – Urartu (the native term)
Եուրի – Yoori – Lord
Հութութուհի – Hootootoohi – Luck, Success

Deity Names
I’m assuming these names come from Mher’s Door, a door-like carving into a cliff face near the city of Van which lists all 75 deities worshiped in Urartu and what to offer them.

Քիլբանի – Kilbani – The 35th God in the Urartian Pantheon, who ruled Mt. Varaga (which overlooks the city of Van, which was the site of Urartu’s capital Tushpa)
Եիդուրրու – Ehidooroo – The God of Mt.Sipan
Շիուինի – Shivini – A solar God
Հութուինի – Hootoo-ini – The God of Fate (see also the word for Luck)
Շեբիթու – Shebitoo – A God that King Rusa the First was mentioned to have worshiped (that’s all the book said about it unfortunately)
Սելարդի – Selardi – A Moon Goddess
Քուերա – Kooera – A God of Earth and Water
Ելիպուրի – Elipoori – A Hurrian God (that’s all the book said)
Իրմուշինի – A protective deity who cures illnesses
Ուա – Oo-ah – An important deity, however it’s unknown what they were a God of.
Նալաինի – Nala-ini – God of Mt. Nal
Ուրա – God of Ur
Բաբա – Baba – A Goddess possibly associated with Heba (that’s all I got)
Թուշպունիա – Tooshpoonia – The winged Goddess of the Dawn
Ադիա – Adia – Goddess of the city of Adia
Սարդի – Sardi – A Goddess, connected to Ishtar
Աիա – Aia – The Goddess of Aia (a city perhaps?)
Ինուանի – Inoo-ani – The Mother Goddess, also the general Urartian word for Goddess

I know of a few other deities not on this list too, such as Khaldi, Theispas (a storm and lightning God) and Arubani (Goddess of arts and creativity). It’d be great to find a list of all 75 deities printed somewhere. By the time of the pagan Kingdom of Armenia, the number of deities would be reduced to about eight.

Phrases
<<Խալդինի Քուրունի:>> - “Khaldini Kuruni” – “Khaldi is strong.” (Khaldi (or Haldi) is the Chief God of the Urartian Pantheon. This phrase would be the equivalent to “Praise Khaldi”.)

This phrase is seen at the end of declarations, such as that on the stone tablet unearthed at Erebuni which detailed King Argishti’s conquest of the area and establishment of the settlement. I’m guessing the “-ni” suffix is the equivalent of the word “is”. Armenian does this with definite articles. So substitute Khaldi with whatever name you like, adding “ni” to the end. Then again, I don’t know how this would work with the name Arubani. “Arubanini kuruni”? Don’t take my word for it, I don’t claim to be a scholarly resource for your term paper.

Anyway, that’s all I was able to copy down back then. However, the Erebuni Historical and Archeological Museum Reserve periodically posts more Urartian vocabulary on their Facebook page. I’ve been collecting these images too. So as a bonus, I’ll post them here; I hope no one from the museum minds. In return I'll advertise their Facebook page.

"I" in Armenian is pronounced "yes". Note the similarity with Urartian.


In Urartian it's "eeyoo", in Armenian, "yerp". Vaguely similar.


And I had this word for "lord" in my notebook too! A good sign I was on the right track.

Pretty sure the Urartians used some kind of solar calendar with the Spring equinox as "new year". But look how "year" in Armenian is "tari" and in Urartian it's "shali". 

"Tsue" has an obvious connection with the Armenian "tsov".


And here's how they wrote their numbers.

The cuneiform alphabet. I actually don't remember where I came across this image so I can't credit it, but it was on my computer.



In closing, it’s actually really hard to dig up much on Urartu, at least online, but I’ve been at it for years. It’s one of those extremely obscure academic topics where a simple internet search really isn’t going to get you anywhere far. If you want to know more, I can point you to at least a couple different resources.

Resources

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6BfziEo1mU – A brief History of Urartu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJ_X364XYY – A nice two-hour documentary about Urartu
And if you want a book, I’d suggest starting with People of the Hills: Ancient Ararat and the Caucasus, by Charles Burney and David Marshall Lang. I've had this book for a number of years. 

Thanks for reading the only blog in existence that can go from talking about pro wrestling to Norwegian dungeon synth artists to 3,000-year-old forgotten languages and mythologies. What’s next? Even I’m not completely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment