Friday, February 7, 2020

Top 3 Songs of the Month – February 2020/Մեհեկի 4512



It’s the month of Մեհեկի (Meheki) by the old Armenian calendar. Been a while since I posted anything, hasn’t it? I wasn’t sure how to follow up the last blog for a couple days. It got quite a few views. That won't be the last time I blog about Urartu, but I don’t know if I’m doing it again for a while. Anyway, I've actually been working on a new blog post for the past couple days, a book review this time, and it was almost finished, but then this date snuck up on me, so now I need to do one of these Top 3 Songs of the Month blogs first; because I said I would, not because anyone’s really waiting with bated breath for them. See musical tastes are like fingerprints. No two people’s are exactly the same. So I’m not even sure people get anything out of reading these posts, but I want to keep doing them anyway. I’ll have something else ready for tomorrow.

Last month, after being buried under an avalanche new music, I vowed to take time off from seeking out new music to enjoy what I have for a while. And that’s what I did, resulting in the songs you’ll see on this little list. The songs aren’t brand new, but I haven’t given them the proper attention until recently.

Click here for an explanation of my tradition of keeping track of my top 3 songs each month, and here for last month’s picks.

Lebanon Hanover – I Believe You Can Survive




I’ve been on a Lebanon Hanover kick as of recently, this will be the first of two of their songs on the list. The song is kind of a character sketch, the singer speaking to someone who is dark and gloomy, loves reading books, and has a lot in common with the singer, in both likes and dislikes. You have to appreciate a music video where a copy of Fifty Shades Darker gets ripped up. “I believe you can survive” seems like a strange thing to say to someone you like. Maybe if you’re in a war or in the midst of an apocalypse it might make sense. But the final line of the song, “I bet your bookshelf looks similar to mine,” might be one of the best pickup lines I’ve ever heard. I think the main reason this song has been running through my head a lot lately is because it reminds me a lot of the main protagonist of the novel I’m writing, who herself is a goth bookworm. I like putting together unofficial soundtracks to my novels.


SYZYGYX – Blood Moon



 

Yes, it’s SYZYGYX again (pronounced kinda like “scissor kicks”). I bought all the SYZYGYX albums that were out at the time about a year ago for pretty cheap on Bandcamp. I don’t know how I overlooked this song, but it happens when I come across huge batches of new music like that. The song grips you as soon as it starts, and doesn’t let go. It reminds me of being transfixed by the blood moon, and perhaps transforming into a werewolf. I came across this song again because I was putting together theme mixes again, and was gathering up all the songs in my music library that had to do with the moon.
I’ve been playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild too, and this song strikes me as a perfect soundtrack to the rise of the blood moon in that game. 


Lebanon Hanover – The Moor



 

Here’s the other Lebanon Hanover song I’ve been into lately, which I first came across some time ago but finally gave proper attention to this month. I love it when saxophones are used in music other than jazz, for some reason. It surprisingly goes really well with darkwave music like this. Makes me want to put together a saxophone mix. I just love the energy behind this song, the atmosphere it creates. I wish it were a longer song.


Honorable Mention: Golden Apes – Oblivion



 

This a song that was on the UnObscured compilation I purchased back in December, full of promising new bands that emerged in 2019, and has grown on me as of recently. I should probably check out more from Golden Apes. It’s an interesting band name to be sure. My next planned mixtape will be called Oblivion, so I might as well make this the opening track.  


No comments:

Post a Comment