Thursday, February 20, 2020

Mix CD Reflections: The Moon




“Does the moon actually possess such strange powers, or is it all just…lunacy?”


            It was 4.51 billion years ago, that chaotic time when the planets were young and still forming, the chaos before creation, when Theia (a hypothetical Mars-sized planet) collided with Gaia. The debris that was thrown into space then rotated around the new planet Earth, slowly coalescing into what we now know as the Moon. This planetary partnership has been beneficial to the life that came to form on planet Earth. The Moon causes tides in the ocean, leading to tide pools and perhaps encouraging creatures of the sea to move onto land.  The Moon has protected the Earth from thousands of asteroid impacts, as evidenced by the craters that scar its surface. It reflects sunlight back on us at night, aiding visibility. However, it is moving away from the Earth at the rate of 1.5 inches per year. Given enough time, it will drift far enough away to no longer affect Earth’s tides or protect it. It will never break free of Earth altogether; in 50 billion years or so it will reach balance and move no further. But in all likelihood, both the Moon and Earth both will be swallowed by the expanding Sun before then.

            Billions of years later, primates who were at least intelligent enough to look up at the sky and wonder what they were seeing, prescribed many different personifications to the moon, what we now call Gods and Goddesses. When you look at how the Moon has helped life on Earth, it makes perfect sense to be thankful to it; not that the ancients could have known exactly how the Moon has helped life exist. Every culture had its own unique way of looking at the Moon; none more or less correct than another. The ancient Egyptians saw the God of Wisdom, Thoth, shown as a man with the head of an ibis, its curved beak shaped like the crescent moon. The ancient Greeks saw Artemis, also a Goddess of the Hunt. The Urartians saw Selardi, a Moon Goddess. The Inca saw Mama Killa, another Moon Goddess, defender of Women. The Chinese saw a rabbit, Tu’er Ye, in the craters on the Moon. In Wicca the moon represents the Triple Goddess, the Divine Feminine. It seems that the Moon is more often associated with Goddesses than Gods. In Europe there were more myths about the moon, such as werewolves, people who transform into wolf-like beings during the full Moon, born of the practice wolves have of howling at the Moon. Even today, many believe that the moon possesses strange powers. Is it all just…lunacy? All of these cultures from different times around the world looked up at the same object, and saw something different. It was perhaps a new concept when the monotheistic Abrahamic religions saw nothing but a rock in the sky. Science has demystified the Moon even further. And now, people have walked on the Moon. We might even have colonies on the Moon one day, if humanity can refrain from destroying itself by the time that becomes a viable option. Humans have, by and large, lost their imagination when it comes to the moon, perhaps to space in general. Poets and lyricists are the only ones keeping the echo of it alive.

            These are all thoughts to contemplate when listening to my Moon Mix, second in my series of theme mixes based on words and concepts, the first of which was songs about the Cold. In this mix I’ve gathered approximately 80 minutes of songs that are either about the Moon or mention it. Just like studying mythology, it gives us many different interpretations of the Moon, the end process of thousands of years of religious and poetic perspectives on Earth’s cosmic partner. I’ve tried to reconstruct the mix on Spotify, but many of the songs are too obscure to be on Spotify (a sure sign I did a good job on the mix), so for those songs I will link to YouTube.


Godsmack – Moon Baby
“Let’s take a blast to the moon, baby.”

            The best part of this song is all the voice samples at the beginning, my favorite of which I’ve already quoted. Also included are Neil Armstrong’s famous words as he landed on the moon. This makes it an ideal song to start the mix off. The song seems to be attributing the Moon to carnal longings and cravings, which ties into the werewolf myth. But the song in general is a good one to bang your head to, and one of the best by Godsmack. My first concert I ever attended was Godsmack opening for Metallica back in 2003 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I recall actually preferring Godsmack’s performance to Metallica’s. They were never my favorite band, but I liked them quite a bit in the early 2000’s, before I moved onto European black metal.  


Type O Negative – Wolfmoon
“Hey wolf moon, come cast your spell on me.”

            This song has similar themes to the previous, associating the moon with wolves, werewolves (the line “Those silver bullets, a last blood benediction,” in particular), in addition to the female menstrual cycle. The opening lyrics, “The 28th day, she’ll be bleeding again. And in lupine ways, we’ll alleviate the pain”, speak for themselves, giving the song a lot of strong sexual undertones. The word “lupine” can be an adjective for something that is wolf-like. The Inca Goddess Mama Killa was also associated with both the Moon and the menstrual cycle. This association is possibly why more cultures have Moon Goddesses than Gods. The song itself, in typical Type O Negative fashion, is darkly beautiful, and I more often find myself just taking in the energy of the music rather than paying any attention to the lyrics when I listen to it.


“The curse of the black moon will haunt you, the Wolf King has entered the blood storm, let the fire burn your innocence.”

            Howling Syn is a little-known metal band I found out about a long time ago; I believe it was on MySpace that I found them. This song begins with a wolf howl, suitably. A Black Moon is an actual phenomena; it’s the opposite of a Blue Moon, that is, two New Moons in one month. Some modern Wiccans and pagans ascribe significance to this, and do special rituals and spells (maybe curses if they don’t mind the karmic consequences) on Black Moons, which may be what this song is referencing when it says “the curse of the Black Moon”. But of course, a Black Moon has more to do with a quirk of the Gregorian calendar than an actual astronomical event of significance. But, significance is subjective in the first place. (Is it all just…lunacy?) Best of all, the term “Black Moon” just sounds cool. This song will be the last on the mix that has to do with wolves, but is among my favorites.    


Echo & the Bunnymen – The Killing Moon
“The killing moon will come too soon.”

            In an interview, singer Ian McColloch ascribed the lyrics to this song to divine inspiration, having woken up with the lines running through his head one morning. Perhaps some higher being wanted the song to be made. Or perhaps it’s all just…lunacy. (Okay, I need to stop.) Early in the song lyrics the Blue Moon is mentioned (“under Blue Moon I saw you,”), making a perfect juxtaposition to the previous song. The singer of Echo & the Bunnymen was unclear about the meaning of the lyrics. I’m not certain myself how to interpret them. It seems to me the Moon is more of a background element, and the song is really about a forbidden love. This song is a classic of post-punk and gothic rock, from 1984, a terrific year for music as you’ll soon find out when I cover my 1984 in Music mix. Alas, I was born just a little bit too late to live in a time where music that I like achieved any kind of popularity.


Long Night – East of the Sun, West of the Moon
“I’ve been east of the Sun, west of the Moon, for your love.”

            And here we have more modern gothic rock from the band Long Night. “East of the Sun, West of the Moon” is apparently the title of an old Norwegian folktale, although I don’t know if that is what the songwriter here is alluding to. He seems to be saying he has traveled very far to find someone’s love. I suppose to be east of the Sun and west of the Moon would mean being in a spot on Earth where sunset is occurring. You wouldn’t be staying there for long. However, if you’re as far north as Norway I think sunsets can last for a long time in the winter.


Ashes Fallen – Blood Moon
“Blood Moon rising, I’m on the ground. Seconds ticking; the only sound.”


           

The first of two songs on this mix titled “Blood Moon”, this is another gothic rock song, this time one that I got from Obscura Undead’s UnObscured 2019 compilation (which I’ve mentioned many times on the blog before). A Blood Moon is a total Lunar Eclipse, when the Earth blocks sunlight from reaching the Moon, giving it an ominous red hue. This has factored into many religions, notably Christianity with regards to the apocalyptic prophecies of Revelation. And like the Black Moon, its main significance is that it just sounds badass; with the added benefit of also looking badass too. Making it a good song title.



“Come and visit me, on the Moon.”

            It’s very sad how obscure this band is. This song came out back in 1986, the year I was born. I can’t find out much about it. I only heard this song on a compilation of obscure 80’s music someone posted to YouTube. It’s got the 80’s saxophone and Siouxsie-esque vocals. The lyrics are unavailable anywhere on the Internet that I looked, but I think the song is about having your head “in the clouds”, as it were. Or on the Moon in this case. I can relate to that. My mind is rarely here on Earth.


Katil - Kuzim
“Above this dark world, let us become two moons.”

            I already wrote an entire blog entry about this song, a Hamshen Armenian folksong, which you can go ahead and read, it's the entry right before this one. I wrote it in preparation for this blog post, actually, because I knew I had a lot to say about it. The metaphor about the moon that this song makes is as something that brings light to a dark world; like bringing positivity to a very negative, harsh world. And I was astonished that Spotify had this exact version of the song. Nice going, Katil. I should buy their album.


“Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight, someone’s thinking of me and loving me tonight.”

            This song is going to cost me goth points. But screw it. An American Tail is one of my favorite movies. The song “Somewhere out There” was sung by the mouse siblings Fievel and Tanya after Fievel was separated from his family on the way to America, and is about how they know they’ll be together again. They’re staring up at the same moon, after all. That gets me thinking about what I discussed earlier, about how different cultures around the world all looked up at the sky and saw the same thing, yet had many different interpretations of it. The version I used for this mix was sung by Fievel’s young voice actor Phillip Glasser on a rare promotional album. It basically uses the background music to Linda Ronstadt’s version (which I’m not into, but not because of the background music but because it was turned into a cheesy 80's love ballad).


The Midnight – Los Angeles
“Helicopters against moonlight, our holy mother of the midnight, and if we live forever let us live forever tonight.”

            The Midnight is one of the best synthwave bands, and as with most synthwave (or retrowave if you will) that has lyrics, the subject of their songs are often invoke nostalgia. They might be about lost loves, wonderful summers, or in this song’s case, a really great night you had with your friends that you didn’t want to ever end. So this song barely mentions the moon, but it serves as a background element. The image of helicopters against the moonlight kind of stands out against the rest of the song; when I think of helicopters at night I think of police helicopters sending glaring searchlights down and hunting after a criminal on the run, and having to lock up your doors and hope some crazed gun-wielding madman doesn’t bust in. But I spent a bit of my childhood living in one of the worst poor neighborhoods of Fresno, California, so maybe that’s why I feel weird about romanticizing helicopters.


Switchblade Symphony – Dissolve
“In the moonshine I leave no trace, my visions have gone far from this place.”

            Switchblade Symphony is another of those bands I wish I had found out about a lot sooner, but didn’t hear of them until a couple years ago. It’s a 1990’s goth band. This song is very dark, slow and meditative. I’m unsure what it’s really about. Other lyrics include “The fear of God is in me now”. I’m assuming by “moonshine” she’s not referring to illegal homemade alcoholic drinks, but actual moonshine. But it would be interesting to know how the alcoholic moonshine got its name. Maybe because it had to be made at night, in secrecy. This is a hard song to interpret. Maybe the narrator of the song is dying and afraid of meeting God’s judgment as their consciousness dissolves. It could be.


[:SITD:] – Drowning in the Flame
“And when the Sun and Moon grow dark, and when the stars no longer shine, the sky and Earth will shake, my love will keep you safe.”

            I’m convinced this song is about the end of the world, which is pretty obvious when other lyrics include “We’re waiting for the end to come, our world is slowly dying, while we’re staring at the Sun”. Unless the Earth was encased in some kind of shell there’s no way the stars would stop shining, at least not for the next hundreds of billions of years. Even if all the stars went dark right now it would be four years before we even saw one disappear, because the closest star is four lightyears away. It’s a big universe out there. The sun has about five billion years left in it, and by the time it goes dark the Earth and Moon probably won’t exist anymore, at least if the sun really does expand and swallow them. But the song’s being poetic, and I’m ruining it.   


“The Moon is high, the night is young. That’s the time for you to dance.”

            It’s my favorite Greek darkwave band. The Moon just sets the scene for this song. It’s night time, the night has just begun, let’s go to a dance club and do some lurching and swaying goth dances. It’s a pretty straightforward song. It makes me miss The Castle in Ybor City. The moon, with all its spooky connotations, is a good first image to invoke in a song about going to a goth nightclub.


Mindless Faith – Moth Without a Moon
“Like a moth without a Moon.”

           

I talked about this song last December when it was #1 on my top 3 songs of the month. The lyrics are in the description of the YouTube video, but I still can’t really make sense of them. The song has references to insects and plants and the night, and the line “Like a moth without a moon” doesn’t explain much. Do moths normally have moons? At any rate, I still like the song a lot despite not understanding it.


SYZYGYX – Blood Moon
“Take me far away to the blood moon.”
            And those are the lyrics to the whole song, just repeated. Here’s the other song on the mix titled “Blood Moon”. I’ve spoken about this song on the blog before, when it was my #2 song for this month, February 2020. The music is captivating, and makes me think of staring transfixed at a blood red Moon. I was so transfixed by this song I didn’t realize the lyrics were just one sentence repeated over and over until I paid attention for this blog.


Voltaire – The Man Upstairs
“And I’m surrounded by lunatics who don’t even need a moon.”

            I’ve spent most of my life living in apartments, so I know only too well what it is to have noisy, sometimes scary neighbors. This is a song for anyone who has wished death on their upstairs neighbor for vacuuming or juggling bowling balls at 4 in the morning. The word lunatic comes to us from the Latin word “lunaticus”, meaning “of the moon” or “moonstruck”, and used to describe the mentally ill. Going back as far as ancient Greece, and maybe further, the Full Moon has been rumored to cause people to go mad. Police officers and nurses today will attest to this as well, although I’m not certain there have been any statistics to back this up. Poor Voltaire’s neighbors didn’t even need a Full Moon to fall into…lunacy.  


Right Said Fred – Let’s Face the Music and Dance
“Soon we’ll be without the moon humming a different tune, and then there may be teardrops to shed. So while there’s moonlight and music and love and romance let’s face the music and dance.”

            And now for something completely different: electro-swing. It’s a good song to end off on though, as it equates the moonlight with love and music, and urges the listener to enjoy the moment, because it won’t last forever. This song is a cover of a much older song, perhaps best known as a Fred Astaire dance number, but has been revived by Right Said Fred, a band that’s been around for a long whle now but is hopping on the electro-swing bandwagon, an emerging genre in recent years which I’ve been listening to more often as of late.


            Anyway, I hope you’ve enjoyed this meditation on our celestial partner in the Solar System, the Moon. I look forward to my next mix of this nature being centered on either Stars, or the Heart. Whichever I decide.   



No comments:

Post a Comment