Saturday, October 10, 2020

Top 3 Songs of the Month - October 2020/Սահմի 4513 -Minuit Machine, Tearful Moon, STWTD

 100th blog post. Woo hoo, yay. 

October. The world is still very much on fire. It’s hard to feel the Halloween spirit when your favorite country is being carpet bombed by a mad dictator who today is ignoring a ceasefire that was established so that both sides could collect the dead bodies of their fallen soldiers after almost two weeks of fighting. Oh but by all means, ignore the war in Armenia and focus on a fly on the US vice president’s head, who by the way also gets more media coverage than any third party presidential candidate. And the Covid is still going strong too. Isn’t the world just grand? 

I would really be stewing in it if I weren’t visiting family in California at the moment; yes, perhaps ill advised these days, but plane tickets were cheap. I had planned to do this trip in early September but the whole state was on fire so I had to reschedule. But as my last two blog posts show, the trip isn’t enough to distract me from what’s going on in Armenia. I have donated what I can, I really can’t do much else sadly. When I do get more money perhaps I can help with the rebuilding efforts. 

This will be the month I debut my webcomic. Before the month is out. It is pretty much ready. I just have to work out the logistics of publishing it online. As for blog plans, well, we will see. It feels wrong to blog about frivolous Halloween stuff with the war going on. But my monthly tradition of talking about what music I’m currently into isn’t too frivolous, I guess. If only due to my stubbornness. The Azeris can’t take that from me.


Minuit Machine - Don’t Run From the Fire



“Don’t run from the fire. Fight.” 

This song just came out at a timely moment for me, between both the war I previously mentioned and the fires in California. It works as an obvious metaphor. Don’t run away from your problems. Stand up and confront them. There’s another song by Boy Harsher, “Face the Fire”, that is really similar to this one, using the same exact metaphor. Not sure if there was any actual influence there, but I will put them on a mix tape together, for great justice. Minuit Machine features the same singer from Hante, which is her solo project. I found out about Hante first, but I really like Minuit Machine too, which sounds almost the same I guess. 

Also, any music video that uses the Deliberate VHS Quality trope gets bonus points from me. I just like it for some reason.

The EP of the same name releases October 16th. Here’s their Bandcamp: https://minuitmachine.bandcamp.com/


Tearful Moon - Run Away, Simon (featuring This Cold Night)


We just had a song telling us not to run away, and here’s one with the opposite message! This song is strangely catchy. I have no idea who Simon is. The nerdy one from Alvin and the Chipmunks perhaps? Or Simon Belmont from Castlevania? That was a pretty hard video game, I ran away from it too. Anyway, this is a song about getting yourself out of a toxic situation if I’m interpreting the lyrics correctly, and it’s okay to run from that. My favorite line is “Run with the wolves, they shout your name”. Now I have to imagine a wolf trying to howl the name Simon.

I have been enjoying Tearful Moon’s music lately, and this song is my current favorite of theirs. 



Slow Danse With the Dead - Monday Mourning (Another Day of Suffering)



I wish this song had been out when I was working at the call centers! This is the perfect “I hate Monday” song. This song captures exactly what it’s like to wake up after a day or two off and have to go back to an awful job that you hate, with your next day off in the distant future. To anticipate another day of suffering. Slow Danse With the Dead is best at conveying this type of existential depression. This is off their latest album I Look Like Death, and marks their third month in a row on my Top 3 Songs lists, which is an auspicious honor to be sure (lol not really). 

Anyway here it is on Bandcamp: https://slowdansewiththedead.bandcamp.com/album/i-look-like-death


Honorary Mention: SYZYGYX - Times Are Hard for Dreamers


I haven’t really been venturing outside my usual genres in the last month so I don’t have anything too different to put as an honorary mention. But I heard this song for the first time a couple days ago. I haven’t really had the time to sit with it yet so it hasn’t beaten out the other three I just listed. But I do love SYZYGYX. Times are indeed really hard for dreamers. You can’t focus on your dreams unless you’re already rich. Or just lucky. The title alone is enough to capture my attention. Surprisingly this song came out last year; times are even harder now. I need to get the album Fading Bodies, I think it is the only one of their’s I don’t have yet. Weirdly, the CD is less expensive than the digital album; I guess if you add shipping costs it isn’t, but still, maybe I ought to get a CD copy. Saves me the trouble of burning the MP3s on a blank CD like I always do. 

Well here it is on Bandcamp: https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com/album/fading-bodies


No comments:

Post a Comment