Saturday, May 8, 2021

Top 5 Songs of the Month ~ May 2021/ Մարերի 4513 ~ Pitch After Dark, Camlann, ЭЛЕКТРОЦОЙ

It’s been an interesting month for me since I last wrote, as far as my music goes. My new mp3 player currently has 2,032 songs, and the room left is still 4 gigabytes. My entire CD collection, including every CD I ever burned (at least the ones I still have) since my teen years. I know I gushed about this last month too, but I wasn’t even done doing a deep dive into my archives and putting stuff on it yet then. It’s a blend of old and new. Music I haven’t listened to in years, mixed with music I have only just discovered and heard once or twice. But, I have still been sure to check my YouTube subscriptions for new music, as well as listening to a few DJ sets, which is where I found my top five songs this month. We have quite a diverse selection this time, groups from Indonesia, Italy, Russia, and the United States.


Pitch After Dark - Trapped Inside

“I want to dance the way we did before we were all trapped inside.”

You know, I obviously wouldn’t say I ever enjoyed the pandemic, but the novelty it had, however little, has definitely worn off. I’ve got no place to take my kid, those face masks make my face break out, and I miss concerts and night clubs. I’m over it. That’s what this song is about. Being trapped, having cabin fever and facing your demons in isolation. Although released May of 2020, it is even more relevant this far into the pandemic, when it’s been more than a year. If the singer was already feeling cooped up a year ago, imagine how much the poor guy must miss dancing now. It’s thanks to a months old DJ set by DJ Maus that I found his song, and it’s unfortunate that it flew under my radar last year. But it wasn’t too late to be relevant when I first heard it, of course.

Pitch After Dark is a post-punk duo from Las Vegas, Nevada. They released two four-track albums last year, which are both quite good. 

Get it here:



Camlann - I’m Nobody


This is the first band from Indonesia I think I’ve ever heard. Camlann has a very unconventional look and sound for their genre, which they refer to as Dark Disco. Watching them I can’t help but be reminded of Romeo Void, a similar sounding band from the early 1980s. The singers of both bands even look similar. Is this her daughter? At any rate, “I’m Nobody” is a very scathing song that I would hate to have directed at me. She describes someone whose idealism and dedication to the philosophy of John Lennon has destroyed their life and left them and their family homeless. I mean agreeing with the lyrics to “Imagine” isn’t necessarily going to destroy your life and leave you homeless, is it? Maybe I do feel slightly targeted by this song. Which makes it weird that I like it. 

Anyway, this is off their album Circa 1983, which releases later this month and you can find here:



ЭЛЕКТРОЦОЙ - Обречены


Electrotsoy is a Russian band I discovered late last year. Their first album “Ностальгия”, or “Nostalgia”, was a soft dreamwave/shoegaze album overall, but their newest album “Bedroom Gothic” has a darker edge to it. This track, “Обречены”, (“Enchanted”) is a good example. It’s been a long time since I found a song with pipe organs and wolf howls. Best hook I’ve heard in a song for a while now. That opener can only bring to mind Bela Lugosi as Dracula. Some of the other songs in the album do sound like their first album, but this track in particular definitely seems like a darker, more post-punk direction for the band, which suits me fine. I am eager to see what else this band comes out with.

You can find their new album here:



SKYND - Michelle Carter


Skynd is a darkly fascinating band. Style-wise they borrow cues from Industrial, hip hop, pop, slight dubstep influences. I would compare them to the Russian group IC3PEAK. Some people try to compare them to Die Antwoord, which...yeah maybe kind of, if you squint, but they’re way darker. The only things the bands have in common are some strictly musical genre-related similarities. Subject-wise and tone-wise I don’t know who else to compare them to. Each of their songs is about a different high profile murderer, each meticulously researched. It’s like if the show American Horror Story was a band instead of a show. Thematically, the songs are all about the darker side of human nature. It never feels like they’re celebrating the killer, as their videos focus on the victims. Listening to the songs without watching the video that goes with them is like missing out on half the song. The song that stood out to me most was “Michelle Carter”, about a young woman who gaslighted her boyfriend into killing himself through text messages; the actual text messages provide the lyrics to this song. “Columbine” was another powerful track with a gripping music video, and was my runner up. Skynd is a very controversial band for obvious reasons, and isn’t for everyone, but I appreciate the artistry and the themes in the songs. 

This song actually doesn’t seem to be on their Bandcamp, but you can listen to it here as well:



Horror Vacui - Corvus Corax


I discovered, or I suppose you could say I “unearthed”, this Italian deathrock band when I was reviewing the UNEARTH’D compilation album, which  Horror Vacui had a track on. I decided to check out their other songs, and they’ve got quite a nice discography. Out of the songs I checked out I liked this one best for its sound, but it was a tight race. This track is off their 2012 LP In Darkness You Will Feel Alright. The album title and cover are good at conveying the sound on the album. Deathrock is alive and well. Stylistically this could have come out in the 1980s, it has that same classic goth sound. 

You can find the album here:

No comments:

Post a Comment