Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Album Review - UNEARTH’D

 



One of my readers was kind enough to send me an advance digital copy of this compilation album to review, and I was of course thrilled to agree to do it. UNEARTH’D is a collection of underground darkwave, post-punk and deathrock, put together in celebration of World Goth Day on May 22nd, which is when this album will officially be released. As an aside I had forgotten there was a World Goth Day; I would have thought if there were such a holiday it would be in either autumn or winter, because it gets really hot being dressed in black leather that time of the year. Although I guess goths in South America and Australia will be fine. Anyway, I found this to be a very fine compilation, like a well put-together mix CD. It introduced me to several new bands; even though I like to think I’m well-informed about new music in the goth scene the only band I had heard of before listening to this was Secret Shame, so this album does a good job of exposing underground bands to new listeners. So I recommend this album if the genre is up your alley, because you might just discover something new that you like. I think it would be great if this album became an annual compilation released for every World Goth Day, giving spotlight to under-appreciated bands.


I liked every song, but if I had to pick a top three from the album they’d be “Lost” by Horror Vacui, “Goodbyes That Last For Years” by Feeding Fingers, and “Let Me In” by Vincas; the last of which made it into my Top 5 Songs of the Month for April because of its inclusion on this compilation. For that I did a mini review of the track. All of the bands on the compilation are worth checking out though. You can think of this as a sampler for new bands to discover and listen to.


You can buy the album on Bandcamp, as well as sample a few of the tracks for yourself:

https://brokensoundtapes.bandcamp.com/album/unearthd


Track listing:

Dead Cells - Listen 

Horror Vacui - Lost

Vision Video - Static Drone 

Secret Shame - Storm

Feeding Fingers - Goodbyes That Last for Years

Solemn Shapes - Concealed 

Vincas - Let Me In (Dream Tent Remix)

Entertainment - Voyeur (single edit)

M is We - Arts and Krafts

Night Battles - Summer of Loathe 

Cold Choir - Paper Flowers

The Machine in the Garden - Beyond

Dispel - Journey into Limbo


Of note, when I was looking these bands up I found that two of them released music videos for tracks that appear on this compilation, which I might as well share. Listen for yourself!








No comments:

Post a Comment