Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Audiobiography - Reflections of My Life as Mixtapes



I’m turning 35 this year. Do it all over again, and I’ll be 70. It doesn’t seem that long ago I was worried that double my age was 50. I don’t personally feel 35, although my lower back begs to differ. But then, what does it mean to “feel” an age anyway? I appreciate the number of “Happy birthday” messages on Facebook. It can get a little overwhelming, but like having too much food in the refrigerator, if that’s your biggest problem you must be lucky. Birthdays used to excite me. Now, as the age number climbs, they haunt me. For some reason, ages that end in 5 or 0 are the worst. Completely abstract and arbitrary, but behind their symbolism, birthdays represent something very real. Grains of sand slipping through an hourglass. Time ticks away, in a cruel endless flow that accelerates with every passing year, and my body is gradually breaking down. No one really believes that they’re going to grow old when they’re young. “Other people age, but of course, I’ll be the exception.” It gets harder to live in such denial as you begin to age. The illusion has been shattered. Is it time for a midlife crisis yet? I’m still not over my quarter life crisis. But no matter how much time passes, no matter how much I may change, I am and always have been at my core, myself.


Music has been a constant companion to my existence on this floating space rock since the beginning. There are songs I associate with different periods of my life. I’ve been making mixtapes since I was 12, and I started making mix tapes covering eras in my life after I turned 20, as a retrospective of my life up to that point. The first of these is Mikey’s Music. I have mentioned on my blog that as a kid I went by my middle name Michael, and there were a few years where I went by Mikey. Hence, this mix was the music that Mikey liked. Nearly a separate entity from who I am now, but still me, deep down. It’s definitely just a summary, being only 90 minutes long but covering my first 12 years. Perhaps because I have retained so few memories from that long ago, it feels complete enough. It mainly consists of 1990s alternative rock. 


The next tape, Suren’s Songs: The Teen Years, covers my teens, from 13 to 19. This tape, 120 minutes long this time, follows my transition from alternative rock to metal and finally into dark electronic goth genres. Seven years in two hours was still only scratching the surface.


When I turned 30 I made the next one, Suren’s Songs: The Roaring Twenties, covering my life from ages 20 to 29. During these years I became a goth. Das Ich, And One and Ayria were my favorites. This was ten years in a two hour tape, or twelve minutes per year. Two to three songs for each year. So a lot was omitted. You still get a feel for each year. 


Wih my thirties, I’m going to do what I wish I had thought of sooner. Each five years will get a 90 minute tape. 16 minutes per year. That will be about four songs per year. I originally came up with this idea because two hour blank tapes are getting harder to find, since they don’t manufacture them anymore. But this gives each decade three hours, and I can cover more. I will do this for the rest of my life, as long as I can still make mix tapes.


I am going to share the playlists of each tape here on my blog. Then, you will be able to hear my life story. Of course, I have my own unique memories and interpretations embedded in each song. Thus, I’m the only one who will ever really understand these tapes. Just like we all are the only ones who truly understand our own minds. But I want to share them anyway. Perhaps someone who has been on a similar life path as I will relate to them.


Because I’m tired of Spotify not having half the songs I put on my mixtapes when I try to share them on my blog, I made a YouTube playlist this time, of all four mixtapes in one. And it was only missing one song (“Missing Track” by And One...ironically). Where available I included music videos, but not every song has a music video. I did this more for myself (just like this blog, pretty much), I don’t know who would actually want to listen to it. But it is a public playlist.


Listen along here:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUzP1Twau7QIG1JgtWBPoGB1WaugydIcx


I wonder though. If my life were a mix tape, would I still be on Side A? If I live to 70, this would be where I flip the tape over. Hopefully I will live to be older than that. But I don’t know how long I’ll live. We are all serving out a death sentence in this strange universe, time and method of execution unknown. 




Mikey’s Music

This tape was just a mix, with no real chronological order. The later ones were more orderly. Still, it is arranged in such a way that the songs energetically flow together, giving it a whimsy, sentimental and nostalgic 1990s feel, but of course, with darkness lingering just beneath the surface. The other tapes don’t have that same flow, so sometimes the transition is abrupt and jarring. The first track, “Sledgehammer” by Peter Gabriel, accompanies one of my earliest memories, watching the music video on MTV as a toddler. It was released the same month I was born, April 1986, so in a way I feel that it heralded my birth. Most of the rest are from what was the prime of my childhood, from ages 9 to 12, in the mid-to-late 1990s. The time I am most nostalgic for, late Elementary School. This was when I first really started listening to the radio, mainly alternative rock stations, but before I started making mixtapes. It was my mother who was into this sort of music, and when you’re young your music tastes can sometimes match that of your parents, until you become a teenager and start listening to music they would never enjoy. I couldn’t leave out music from earlier in my childhood though, such as Paula Abdul, or the “Turtle Power” rap from the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, nor music from Sonic the Hedgehog.

Side A

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer 
Collective Soul - Precious Declaration
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
The Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight
Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
Oasis - Wonderwall
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get
Green Day - Brain Stew
Faith No More - Epic
The Prodigy - Breathe
Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Kind of Life
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Ending and credits theme

Side B

Partnerz in Krime - Turtle Power
Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted
Presidents of the United States of America- Peaches
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Coffee Shop
Gin Blossoms - Follow You Down
Fuel - Shimmer
The Smashing Pumpkins- Thirty Three
Oasis - Champagne Supernova
Big Pig - Break Away
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Marvelous 3 - Freak of the Week



Suren’s Songs: The Teen Years

This tape was done chronologically. You’ll immediately notice an abrupt change in tone from the previous tape, as my childhood imploded due to bullying, school, and just puberty. It was an abrupt loss of innocence. “Anthem to the Year 2000” by Silverchair in particular signified my turn to the dark side, at least with regards to my musical taste. The Linkin Park type of stuff kinda makes me cringe a little bit, but it’s what I was into at the time, it’s part of who I was. What 14-year-old wasn’t listening to that band in the early 2000s? The mix takes us from my tumultuous Middle School years to my angsty, angry and dark High School years, and at the end, a change in direction as I finally began to work out who I was. It is a chronicle of my transition from Michael to Suren. An unpleasant, bumpy ride. 


Age 13

Silverchair - Anthem to the Year 2000
The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
Reveille - The Phoenix 
System of a Down - Sugar


Age 14

Linkin Park - By Myself
Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt
Disturbed - Stupify


Age 15

The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist 
Rob Zombie - Dragula
Korn - Kick the P.A.
Adema - Freaking Out


Age 16 

Rammstein - Ashe zu Ashe
Linkin Park - Points of Authority (remix)
Korn - Thoughtless 
Covenant - Sulphur Feast

Age 17

Dimmu Borgir- Puritainia
Cradle of Filth - From the Cradle to Enslave
Mortiis - Parasite God
The Kovenant - Toward the Crown of Nights

Age 18 

Hanzel und Gretyl - Let the Planets Burn
Covenant - Through the Eyes of the Raven
Kamelot - Farewell
Das Ich - Uterus (Ashe Remix)

Age 19

Mortiis - Way too Wicked
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor 
Apoptygma Berzerk - Nothing Else Matters
Silverchair - Cemetery


Ehh, it’s kind of a cringey title. I should rename it. But it’s too much trouble at this point.


Suren’s Songs - The Roaring Twenties

My twenties were much less of an emotional rollercoaster, and this tape probably reflects that. It chronicles the music of my college years mainly, plus my trip to Armenia at the end. I suffered heartbreak with my first girlfriend, but met my wife a couple years later, and my second relationship ever was a success. It was overall an enjoyable time in my life, I had such dreams and ambitions, which didn’t quite wind up working out the way I had hoped, but let’s save that for the next tape. Once I discovered And One at age 23 that was almost all I listened to for a long time, so some years they appear more than once. They had a very extensive and varied discography. Anyway, I had a little extra room at the end of the tape, so that’s why Age 29 got four songs.


Age 20

Theatre of Tragedy - And When He Falleth
Das Ich - Nahe
Voltaire - The Happy Song

Age 21

Tristania - Tender Trip on Earth
Eisbrecher - Sakrileg 11
Voltaire - Hell in a Handbasket

Age 22

Orgy - Stitches
E Nomine - Wolfen - Das Tier in Mir
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save my Soul

Age 23

And One - Sometimes
Deathstars - Cyanide
And One - Stand the Pain

Age 24

Ayria - Lovely Day
Project Pitchfork - December Sadness
And One - Years

Age 25

Ayria - Start Again
Brighter Fires - From the Sky
And One - Save the Hate

Age 26

Mortiis - Closer to the End
Narine - Հայ եմ ես
And One - The Sun

Age 27

Ayria - Big City Lullaby 
Light Asylum - Heart of Dust
The Jetzons - Hard Times

Age 28

And One - An Alle Krieger
Zombie Girl - Panic Attack
And One - Missing Track (missing from Youtube too sadly)

Age 29

Alice in Chains - Nutshell
Ministry - Revenge
And One - Nyctophiliac 
Aurelio Voltaire- The Masquerade 


Like the Venn diagram?

Suren’s Songs - The Thirties Part I


The dawn of my thirties was really when I began to realize the harshness of reality, as well as the first aches and pains of aging, after I was cast out from paradise when I graduated with my Master’s Degree, which left me over-qualified for the jobs I wanted yet at the same time without enough work experience, and saddled with insurmountable debt. College had been a scam. I also learned through trying to publish my first novel that the traditional publishing world is a lottery, and self publishing only becomes profitable if you have enough money to market yourself in the first place. However, I did start working at a historical museum which I very much enjoyed. I got married, which of course was nice. When my wife became pregnant though I could no longer stay at my museum job because I needed health insurance, I toiled away at call centers, which chipped away at my sanity and became a very low point in my life. After this though, I got to raise my son, and with nothing at all to lose, I started blogging, writing Oz books and a webcomic. I stopped caring whether or not my art made money, and I accepted the fact that I may never be rich or famous, and that I may always be obscure and fade into oblivion. Doing so has been liberating. I got interested in astronomy, I started to finally contemplate existence, and see the bigger picture. Other than the shadows of my past, as well as the realization of what a dreary and unjust world this is, I’m overall in a good place at the moment. Anyway, here’s my mixtape. It chronicles the ups and downs of my bumpy journey through publishing, jobs, marriage and parenthood these past five years. I will do the next tape when I’m 40...in five years. Excuse me while I scream into a pillow at that revelation.



Age 30

New Order - Shellshock
Vellum Stairs - You’re Always Guilty
Katzenjammer - Soviet Trumpeter
Velvet Acid Christ - Evoked

Age 31

Brotherhood - Damned
The Midnight - River of Darkness 
Glaare - My Love Grows in Darkness
Paradise Walk - Rogue 

Age 32

William Control - Cemetery (acoustic version)
The Cure - Cold
Ministry - Game Over
Daniel Guerrera - Dear Rosie

Age 33

Holygram - Still There
Ace Marino - Summer
Silent Em - No Rest
Buzz Kull - Avoiding the Light

Age 34

SYZYGYX - In Pieces
Lebanon Hanover- Avalanche 
Forever Grey - The Style is Death
Slow Danse With the Dead- So Obnoxious 


No comments:

Post a Comment