Sunday, December 1, 2019

The Making of Odinochka



                        My New Decade’s Resolution at the beginning of 2010 was that by 2020, I would publish my first book. Later in 2010, I wrote a short story to go along with my Capstone project, which was my final project before receiving my Bachelor’s degree in Human Communications (essentially an English major but with philosophy thrown in). The topic of my Capstone project was the Armenian genocide, so along with a term paper on the subject I included a short fiction piece that would tie in with the theme. This story took place in 1915, and focused on two orphan boys and their experiences during the Van resistance, during which the besieged Armenian population of the city of Van stood their ground against the Ottoman Turkish army, holding out until the invading Russian army arrived and saved them. The story went over quite well with my instructors, and I got a good grade on it.

            I started in Fresno State’s Creative Writing graduate program in 2011, having used this short story as a writing sample to get accepted. What I didn’t know about this program before I enrolled, but was apparently common knowledge to everyone else, was that in these types of programs genre fiction is frowned upon. Quite heavily, in fact. They only wanted us writing reality-based, slice-of-life type stories dealing with real world issues. In short, literary fiction. “Creative” Writing, indeed. So you can imagine the absolute hazing I got when I tried to workshop my fantasy novel in class. No one had a single good thing to say about it, and afterward the teacher pulled me aside and asked me if I really belonged in their program.

I didn’t move to Fresno and take out a student loan for nothing, so it was time for a change of tactics. I dusted off that short story from my Capstone project and decided to expand it into a novel as my Master’s thesis. If I was going to have to write literary fiction, it would have to at least be historical literary fiction so it wouldn’t bore me to death to write it. This all seemed like the right decision at the time. I do think getting my MFA in Creative Writing did make me a better writer; but other than that, the degree hasn’t gotten me a job, and worst of all they never taught me a single thing about publishing (why teach basic life skills writers need in the real world when you can make us write 20 page term papers about the works of William Faulkner?), so I feel like I went $80,000 in the hole for nothing and that it was basically all a scam. I probably should have dropped out then and there and done an internship in Armenia instead. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. But I digress.

              I spent the next three years working on the novel, workshopping chapters in class, gaining valuable feedback from my peers and instructors. I read firsthand accounts from people who lived through the Van resistance, and researched everything so that it would be as historically accurate as I could make it. I drew inspiration from my own grandfather’s autobiography. My grandfather was a survivor of the Soviet gulag camps (that’s definitely another blog entry for another time). I decided my main character, Vartan Manukyan, would be telling the story of his youth surviving the Armenian genocide from a solitary confinement cell in a gulag in Siberia. The novel would be called Odinochka: Armenian Tales from the Gulag. “Odinochka” is the Russian word for the solitary confinement cell my character was in, and it also can mean alone or lonely, so I thought it was a good title. It all gradually came together, and after I presented my thesis the same teacher who asked if I belonged in the program would later confide in me that she thought my thesis was one of the best that year, in part because it was so different from what anybody else was writing.

            I graduated, moved from California to Florida with my then-fiancé, soon after I did my internship in Armenia, and once all that was done, I felt it was time to have a look at Odinochka again with fresh eyes, have it edited, and try to get it published. I knew I wanted to write genre fiction, but I figured I could get my serious book out first, and maybe get my foot in the door with publishers. But it was a hard sell to literary agents. Too foreign, too hard to market. I could have kept submitting to different agents until someone said yes, but I took a seminar on self-publishing and got to thinking that would be the best way to get this book out. I started my own publishing company, Vishapakar Publishing, just to publish this one book. My wife and I both did the front cover (which I think turned out pretty good, I still have the painting hanging in my bedroom). I designed everything, and made an ebook edition too. I published it through Lulu. Within about four months of deciding to self-publish, it was released in May 2016. I’d met my Decade Resolution, technically.

            But there were things I failed to consider. Looking back now, I wish I had gone with a title easier for Americans to say. People have a difficult enough time with my name after all. I had a local book store refuse to carry it because both the title and my name were too foreign-sounding and they didn’t think it would sell. I also learned that if you’re going to self-publish, you’d better have money for marketing. I did try to market. I advertised on Facebook, I added it to Goodreads, I got people to leave reviews on Amazon, I even made a TV Tropes page for it…but the task ultimately proved too overwhelming for someone with as limited funds as I had. Most of the people who bought copies were family or friends, and since 2016 I sell maybe about two copies a year. I still hope it will sell better once I have other books out. For now, it’s just something to put on my resume, that I published a book once. I think unless I somehow get rich (if that ever happens), I’m much better off sticking to traditional publishing, where they handle all of the editing and marketing costs. The trick is actually getting a literary agent interested.

            Anyway, if you’re curious to read it, it is still up for sale on Lulu. If you prefer Amazon, it’s available there too.
Lulu
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment