Thursday, December 5, 2019

Ministry – With Sympathy - Day 4 of 10 Albums that Changed my Life


Ministry – With Sympathy
Genre: Synthpop
Year: 1983
Year I discovered it: 2014



For a change, here's an album that came out before I was born, but one I discovered much more recently; Ministry's With Sympathy. I almost just love this album out of defiance; the singer has disowned it and hates the album, having moved on from 80's synthpop to industrial metal; being one of the pioneers of the genre in fact. I’ve heard possibly apocryphal stories that when presented with this album at signings, singer Al Jourgensen will either destroy it, or charge $1000 to sign it. Something about being forced to sing in this style by the record companies when really, he was a true metalhead through and through all along; but he’s gone back and forth on this claim and other band members have contradicted him on it. If it’s true though then why do the demo versions and old singles from before he signed with the record company sound so similar in style? I find it bizarre when an artist just completely disowns their early work. Kraftwerk does this with their first three albums (which have good stuff on them, even if they weren’t fully robotic yet), Mortiis used to do this with his old Dungeon Synth albums as well, although these days he’s come around and might even return to his old style (more on him later). It’s like, get over yourself. Will Odinochka, my first novel, make me cringe in 25 years, I wonder? I mean I was somewhat forced to write that novel when I really wanted to be writing fantasy, kind of like how “Uncle Al” was apparently forced to make synthpop when he wanted to be doing industrial metal. But then again, I like going through my old comics I drew in high school and things like that. It’s fascinating to see how far I’ve come when I read my old work, even when it’s not that good. So yeah, I don’t get it.
 But I just never get tired of this album. Ministry's later music is okay at times (“Jesus Built My Hotrod” was the first Ministry song I ever heard, way back in the late 90’s and long before I knew With Sympathy existed), their second album Twitch is pretty good too, but I don't like any of Ministry’s output after Twitch nearly as much as their early music. Many of their singles from before even this album are just as catchy as the best songs on With Sympathy, such as “I’m Falling”, “Same Old Madness”, and especially “Game Over” (that song just sounds like an adventure, and is criminally under-rated and obscure, please check it out). This may be a bit off-topic, but these songs really should have been on the album, I don’t know why they weren’t.  Of course, they appear on my bootleg burned versions of this album (shh! Don’t worry, I have an official copy too).  
So, let’s talk about the songs. I usually can’t stand disco, but the very disco-esque track "I Wanted to Tell Her" is just so catchy (and hilarious when compared to Ministry’s later work), I don’t get tired of it. Disco was basically dead by 1983, making it even funnier that this song exists. I prefer the demo versions with extra lines from the female singer though. Same with “Work For Love”, a song comparing trying to win someone’s love with trying to apply for a job. In the demo version there’s an extra little dialog that I like, a female saying “You don’t have what it takes,” and the singer yelling back “BUT I’M WILLING TO WORK!” It’s another song on my call center nightmare playlist (the mix tape I made about my time at the Macy’s call center last year is even called “Work For Love”, maybe I’ll cover that eventually).
As an aside, I’ve found that almost any time a demo version of a song exists somewhere, it’s better than the album version. Almost every time. The only exception I can think of right now is “One Hundred Years” by The Cure, I didn’t really like the demo version of that one. But in any case, there I go rambling again.
 The song “Revenge” has such a biting, angry energy to it, despite being synthpop. You can almost see the seed of what Ministry would become. I would have loved this song as a teenager. There’s also a nice music video to this song, which I'll embed here. 




 Got to love those keychain earrings. 

“Say You’re Sorry” makes great use of 80’s sax, and is a soothing melody that just kind of makes me think of a cold, rainy day (my favorite weather).  I’m also a sucker for the 80’s-style saxophone, which is one reason I like the synthwave band The Midnight so much. “She’s Got a Cause” is a more stereotypical electronic 80’s song, which I’m fine with. I’m not as fond of the remaining songs on the album to be honest, but the songs previously mentioned make up for that.
As for its influence on me, it's led me to discover more obscure 80's synthpop and New Wave, showing me that there was way more to the 1980's than just the hits we all know and love, but hear all the time. Before this album I was basically only listening to the greatest hits when it came to 80’s music (I had recently discovered The Jetzons by that time too, which was the first step I took toward discovering underground 80’s music), but I’ve found that this decade is the gift that keeps on giving if you just look outside the mainstream. There were so many great New Wave, synthpop, post-punk and goth bands from back then that I probably haven’t even heard of yet.
On that note, let's end this blog entry with a message I believe in.


No comments:

Post a Comment