Monday, December 9, 2019

And One - Bodypop - Day 7 of 10 albums that Changed my Life

And One - Bodypop
Genre: EBM
Year: 2006
Year I discovered it: 2009


And One provided the soundtrack to my 20s. A band that started in the early 90s and had their most recent release in 2014, they provided me years of new-to-me music after I discovered them in 2009. I chose Bodypop because it was the album that the first songs from this band that I heard came from, but much like other bands on this top 10 list I'm hard pressed to choose a favorite album of theirs. Their sound is versatile, and although they are mainly known for one or two songs in goth circles they have so many great songs that no one talks about. One of their most overplayed songs at the goth clubs is on this album in fact.

           What this album in particular and my discovery of And One in general really marked was the final step in my shift from getting new music in record stores to finding new music online. I discovered And One through YouTube, during a time where I was pretty much hopping from band to band, getting into them for a couple months, and then moving onto the next one. I guess I’m kind of doing that now too, but it’s more centralized within a set of closely-related genres, in part thanks to And One’s influence, while between the years 2007-2009, it almost felt like I couldn’t settle on what I wanted to listen to. I was in a major transitional point in my life, that perhaps I’ll write more about later. A lot of my favorite bands as a teen in high school had either taken a turn for the worse with their musical style or just disappeared by that time, and I just didn’t have the anger in me anymore that led me to listen to black metal. I wasn’t being imprisoned in a horrible high school anymore, and college was actually kind of nice. Some of the best years of my life were my late teens to early 20’s. So, I was searching for a new sound. A new laidback kind of darkness, rather than the high energy, angry darkness of metal. Then along comes And One, and I found that they had a vast discography dating back to 1991 and I liked almost every song. It ushered in a new era for me, and this became the music of my 20’s (I still feel sad talking about my 20's in the past tense…). This album in particular always brings me back to 2009 when I listen to it, when I was at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB). The middle of my Monterey years. When I listen to songs from this album, particularly the tracks “Love You to the End” and “Stand the Pain”, sometimes I’ll catch a whiff of that fragrant sea air, feel the cool rush of fog and the spray of the sea, have a taste of fresh clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl and have visions of standing up on a sand dune watching the Pacific Ocean crashing in waves against the shore below.  

            I didn’t really consume Bodypop as a single work like I did the other albums I’ve talked about, or like I later would with And One’s albums released after I discovered the band. I listened to it one song at a time, in no particular order, mixed with songs on other And One albums. I think that’s how a lot of people end up listening to albums these days, on either YouTube, Pandora, Spotify or whatever else people use. The art of constructing one album with songs that fit together and share a common theme throughout seems to be a dying art. One that does not transfer well from physical media to modern streaming. It’s a tragic loss in some ways. I think back to an older band like Kraftwerk. All their albums had a theme of some kind, not a lot of their songs would have worked on their own. They either would have sounded completely different if streaming had existed back then, or would never have risen to “sort-of popularity in certain circles” in the first place. Pink Floyd would be another good example. We’re not getting another album that compares to Dark Side of the Moon this century, I don’t think. If we do it’s going to be really underground, obscure, and never get popular. Everything that gains notoriety these days has to be tailor-made for modern musical consumption. I probably sound like that “Old Man Yells At Cloud” screencap from The Simpsons right now, but I’m not saying streaming’s a bad thing. It’s how I discover new music these days. I wouldn’t find half of the stuff I listen to these days in a record store. That’s the beauty of streaming. All of those obscure bands from the 80’s I’m discovering? Impossible without streaming. Would I have ever discovered And One without it? Probably not. But to gain all of this, we paid a price.

Yeah, that's the screencap. "Damn you streaming!"

            Anyway, let’s talk about some of the songs, shall we?

            After a short instrumental piece called “Mein Anfang”, we get to “Military Fashion Show”, apparently the only And One song that DJ’s at The Castle and most other goth dance clubs have ever heard, besides maybe “Panzermensch”. There are so many other good And One songs they could be playing. There’s nothing wrong with those two songs, I like them, but there’s just so many others that the DJs ignore. Anyway. Back in 2009 when I first heard this, it didn’t really speak to me too deeply, it was just a catchy song that I was into for a month or two. Lines like “Girlfriend, girlfriend, never could be mine” spoke to my bitterness at the time because I’d had a painful breakup the year before, and besides a brief one week fling back in 2006, that was essentially the extent of my entire love life up to that point, at age 23. But I’m married now, so I’m all better. There was a happy ending to the tragic tale of my love life before age 26.

            The next song “Enjoy the Unknown” isn’t a song that I gave a whole lot of attention to back then, but after listening to it again for this blog, I really underrated this song. It has a smooth, symphonic and sentimental quality to it. It would make a good emotional end-credits song for a movie soundtrack. I overlooked it before, but perhaps it’s time for that to change. I don’t know why I overlook some songs on occasion, I guess it got overshadowed at the time I was into this album. It sounds a lot like a Depeche Mode song, which is pretty common with And One by the way, they’re really like the German Depeche Mode. The next song is “So Klingt Liebe” (“So sounds love”). This song’s a bit naughty I must forewarn. I did include it on the first CD mix I made for my wife when we began dating, and I think it went over well despite her not knowing German.

            “The Sound of Believer” has a sound somewhat similar to the earlier “Enjoy the Unknown” in a way, but different enough. This is one of those songs that brings me back to a time and place, mainly exploring the abandoned, decaying buildings around CSUMB on a cold, foggy Monterey day. I don’t really know what the lyrics are about to this day, it’s a song I just feel. The next song, “Body Company”, is a catchy one that easily could be played in dance clubs but usually isn’t. I don’t have too much to say about it, but it is catchy and a nice listen. Next up is “Traumfrau” (“Dream girl”), which is a song I was never that into really. I don’t dislike it, but there are other songs on the album that sound a bit similar but are better.

            “Stand the Pain” is another good one, full of underlying anger and resentment but still catchy. It’s a bit like Ministry’s “Revenge” in tone. The subject of the song is being bitter about having caught ones lover cheating on them, but like I said that breakup from the year before was still pretty fresh in my mind when I heard this song, so that’s how I related to it. It brings me back to Monterey too. Ah, doomed romances of yore. I’m over it now. The next track, “Sexkeit”, is actually one I remember listening to a lot more a couple years later in 2011. I didn’t hear this one at first. It’s slow and a bit creepy. It reminds me of lonely winter days alone in my bedroom when I lived in Martinez, California, watching the rain fall through my window, without much to do as this was after college but before graduate school for me. The lyric “I am waiting for you” reminds me of waiting for my soul mate, who I didn’t know yet and hadn’t met. The ending of the song kind of decays away, reminding me of abandonment, loneliness.

            “Love You to the End” reminds me of love not for a person, but a place. Monterey. I said this album made me think of Monterey a lot. I loved it there. Why did I ever leave? Oh, right. Because I graduated and didn’t have a job, so I went back to Martinez to live with my parents. Then I thought it would be a good idea to go into debt for a useless master’s degree. How fun. Graduating sucks. I would happily have stayed a college student for the rest of my life, never having to deal with loan sharks sending scary letters in the mail every few months and taking awful jobs to get by. I really would have. The only time graduating didn’t suck was at the end of high school. I love Monterey. It’s the only place I love almost as much as Armenia. I love the beaches, the water, the sea. The ocean isn’t the same in Florida. I live near the ocean now, but you’d never be able to tell. There’s no fog. Rarely much wind. It’s hot and humid. It doesn’t smell like the sea here in Rockledge, Florida. I don’t know why it’s so different. “Since the old club fell into the past”. My Monterey days are falling into the past, as one of the lyrics in this song says. It’s been almost ten years since I left. Only music can really conjure those memories up for me again.

            There are two more songs, “The Dream” and “Dein Ende”. They’re both okay. Didn’t really impact me too much. “The Dream” is kind of slow and relaxing, “Dein Ende” (“Your End”) is just an instrumental. I guess that works because the first song is an instrumental. The best of the album is over by the time these two songs come on. I was still listening to And One religiously throughout the rest of my 20’s. They released three albums in one year in 2014, which took me a while to get through, but they’ve been quiet ever since. I do hope it’s not going to become another Das Ich/The Kovenant/Kraftwerk situation where I’m waiting decades for the next album. But when you release three albums in one year, I guess you deserve a bit of a break. I’ve had to look for other music to listen to in the meantime. And I haven’t had trouble in that regard, thanks to streaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment