Thursday, October 21, 2021

Seasonal Flavors are a SCAM!


 As most of my followers know my tablet was destroyed last week, leaving me with no way to work on my webcomic or my novels, and no outlet for my muse. There's probably not going to be a Doom Scroll this month because I haven't been saving any crappy memes. That's why I felt like writing this manifesto (more like an overly-long Facebook post) against the annoying trend of seasonal flavors. My gripe is not with the flavors themselves, but the fact that they are seasonal at all.



Walking into a grocery store in October is an amazing sensory experience. The smell of cinnamon fills your nostrils, everything is either pumpkin spice or maple. But you better enjoy it while it lasts! In November pumpkin spice will transition over to peppermint. And by January, all that's left are the dwindling leftovers, if you're lucky. By February it's all gone. No pumpkin spice, eggnog, spiced apple cider, none of it. 



But there's no reason for it to be gone!! Okay I get that pumpkins don't grow all year. I get that. But most pumpkin spice has absolutely zero pumpkin in it anyway! It's cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice. Why can't they make it all year? Peaches are seasonal, but I can still buy canned peaches and peach flavored yogurt year round. Why is pumpkin any different? And maple? What, can you only get sap out of a tree in the fall? You can buy actual maple syrup all year long, so what gives?! I want my vanilla maple yogurt all year damn it! Then there's the spiced apple cider. I would buy that all year too, why take it off the shelves? Because it's associated with a certain time of the year? Eggnog has no reason to be seasonal either. Can you imagine if milk got associated with a holiday and thus became seasonal? It's like if you could only buy eggs around Easter. That's how stupid it is.



This is what we get for letting greedy corporations control our food supply. They've singled out these products to be seasonal because it makes more of a profit when they do that. And it works because everyone else just goes along with it instead of questioning it. Of course this is a minor gripe compared to everything else that's wrong with the food industry (unethical treatment of animals and workers, the use of enslavement for the harvesting of cacao beans, coffee beans and palm oil, the fact that grocery stores will sooner throw away unsold food than give it to the poor, the fact that grocery stores being in charge of the food supply while most people aren't allowed to grow their own food is just is another way to force people to work crappy jobs, etc.), but my minor gripe still stands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment