Monday, October 11, 2021

Mixtape Reflections ~ Falling into Fantasy

 


In January 2019 I was working at a terrible call center, which I’ve discussed any times on this blog before, and desperately craved any and all forms of escapism. I was still binge-reading the Oz books between calls on Gutenberg, and found solace in the fantasy genre. So that was where this mixtape originated. It stands in direct opposition to my mixtape Work for Love, which I made right before making this one and covered the horrors I regularly experienced day by day. It’s a mix of mostly fantasy-based songs, or songs that at least captured the mood and had a kind of fantastic feel to them, even if the lyrics weren’t about fantasy. The symphonic power metal band Stratovarius has lots of songs that fit the bill, including the title track “Falling into Fantasy”, so they show up a lot on this tape. There are two songs directly referencing Oz, a cover version of the theme from The NeverEnding Story (while the Stratovarius song “Fantasia” references it), and a song referencing Peter Pan.

On the cover, I dedicated the mix to Princess Ozma of Oz, and drew what is still probably the best picture I’ve drawn of her. I wasn’t mimicking John R. Neill’s style but drawing her in my own style. Next time I do an Oz comic I should reference this little portrait; I’d kind of forgotten about it last time I did an Oz comic. 


I have reproduced the mix on a YouTube playlist for anyone who wants to give it a listen; as usual, Spotify doesn’t have all the songs. 


Falling into Fantasy: YouTube Playlist

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUzP1Twau7QJuKAd77VwWvUokAlcheUnC




Track Listing

Side A

  1. Stratovarius ~ Falling into Fantasy
  2. Kamelot ~ Center of the Universe
  3. Aurelio Voltaire ~ Riding a Black Unicorn Down the Side of an Erupting Volcano While Drinking from a Chalice Filled with the Laughter of Small Children
  4. Dragonland ~ The NeverEnding Story
  5. Theatre of Tragedy ~ Poppea
  6. Stratovarius ~ Atlantis
  7. Stratovarius ~ Abyss
  8. Scissor Sisters ~ Return to Oz
  9. Ministry ~ Game Over
  10. The Midnight ~ Crystalline
  11. Gunship ~ The Hegemon
  12. Karliene ~ Return to Oz

Side B

  1. Stratovarius ~ Fantasia
  2. Kamelot ~ Memento Mori
  3. Tristania ~ Wormwood
  4. The Smashing Pumpkins ~ Cupid de Locke
  5. The Smashing Pumpkins ~ Galapagos
  6. Omnia ~ Fairy Tale
  7. Faun ~ Unicorne
  8. Kraftwerk ~ Tongebirge
  9. La Scaltra ~ Neverland
  10. Hybrid ~ Dreaming your Dreams
  11. The Smashing Pumpkins ~ Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

No comments:

Post a Comment