Friday, February 26, 2021

Album Review: Ink Project - Rhythm Spirit


 

After sharing my blog entries in the group Sound and Shadows on Facebook, I was approached to do a music review of an upcoming album. The band is Ink Project, and their new album Blind Rhythm releases today, February 26th. I’m not a professional music reviewer, I just kinda state my opinion. When I go to read professional music reviews I wonder how they come up with so many creative terms. But I will do my best to describe this very unique album. I don’t tend to review music I don’t like, because that would just be mean, so that alone should tell you I liked this album. 


The music itself is very relaxing, almost intoxicating, good to put on if you’re in a mellow mood. It is electronic down-tempo music, that kind of defies genre labels in my opinion. Its smooth electronic beats are accompanied by clean and pure vocals. I especially enjoyed the vocals by Fifi Rong, a Chinese-British singer who has also collaborated with Yello (you may remember their song “Oh Yeah”). She sings on their lead single “The End”, which is the music video above. This being the first track on the album, I do have to wonder why it was first and not at the end of the album, but perhaps there is deeper meaning behind that. The songs flow into one another, making the album a singular entity that is best listened from beginning to end.


From a philosophical standpoint, I really liked the title track “Rhythm Spirit Part 2”, an outro to Part 1 which is really more of a speech than a song, but goes into how human existence is based on rhythm. The moon cycles, the seasons, the tides, etc. There’s a certain rhythm to the universe, which music itself is derived from. Humans find rhythm comforting, perhaps due to the predictability of it.  It provides the album with a thesis, making it not just a random collection of songs but an album with a concept. That’s something you don’t see enough of these days. 


The album consists mainly of nine original tracks , and then a series of remixes of “The End” and “Feeding the Fire”, bringing the total of songs up to 17. 



If you are curious to check this album out you can listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/blindcolour/sets/ink-project-rhythm-spirit

Or buy it here: https://smarturl.it/RhythmSpirit

No comments:

Post a Comment