Sunday, February 14, 2021

Hate Songs - Mix CD Reflections

 

Valentine’s Day is soon upon us, tis the season of love! What better time to listen to a playlist of hate songs? Hatred has been something I’ve long striven to overcome. I’ve written about this struggle before. But every now and then, in a fit of anger, I might regress. It’s only human. I try not to make it permanent. There will always be things I hate. I made a playlist of songs for a mix CD some months ago; a collection of hate songs. More for fun than anything else, and something to listen to when I’m angry as a way to vent. Part of an old habit. It’s another in my series of mixes which focus on one word or concept. Others I have talked about on the blog before are Cold, the Moon, the Sun. I have more coming up too, one about the Heart, and one about Time. But, it is interesting to listen to it and ponder the concept of hatred, and the many different ways the songwriters use it in their songs. The purpose of the mix is to first allow me to vent, then stew for a little bit, begin to calm down, and then lift me out of my bad mood, leaving me in a better mood than I was at the beginning of the mix. This just works for me. It’s like music therapy.


Here is the track listing. I will briefly discuss each song that I feel warrants discussion. I remade 5e mix in Spotify for those who want to listen along, but Spotify doesn’t have every song.

 

Hate Songs– Spotify Playlist 

 

Gwar – Sick of You

            This is the first song I think of when I think of a “hate” song. Often it would come to my mind when dealing with difficult customers while I was working at the call centers. A song for someone you are just so sick and tired of being around. We all have someone we could dedicate this song to.

 

Korn – Right Now


Right now, I can’t control myself I fucking hate you!

What originally drew me to this song was the music video, an animation of someone mutilating themselves in horrifically twisted ways. If you read my comics, you know I get that kind of humor. The song is also great to listen to when you’re angry. Sing along, rock out. Try it sometime, it’s really cathartic.

 

Twiztid – Kill Somebody

This song builds off the energy of the previous. A song for those times when you’re so livid, when you’re seeing red, and your anger isn’t so much directed at one person but at everything. We all have those times. Some more often than others. Myself, more when I was in my teens, but still every so often.  

 

Alice in Chains – Love, Hate, Love 

This is kind of a cool-down song after the last two. This song transitions us from the really angry songs to the dark and seething symphonic black metal songs to come. It is more contemplative, contrasting the concepts of love and hate.   


Covenant – The Dark Conquest

Don’t we all, at one time or another, at some point in our lives, wish we had ultimate power? The power to act on our hate without any consequences? This song taps into dark fantasy. Off one of my favorite albums of all time In Times Before the Light. I decided to go with the original version over the 2002 industrial metal version after the band changed their name to The Kovenant. It’s more raw, more pure. The remixed one is also longer, and I needed this mix to fit on an 80 minute CD. But both versions are good.


Dimmu Borgir – The Serpentine Offering

I am hatred, darkness and despair.

Similar energy to the previous song. Dimmu Borgir is great at adding a symphonic element to their black metal, creating powerful dark music that could be the soundtrack to a supervillain. It really gets your adrenaline rushing, especially if you’re angry.

 

Cradle of Filth – Thank God for the Suffering

This song is on here if for no other reason than for the chant of “Hate! Hate! Hate!” at the end of the song. This rounds off the black metal section of the mix, as by the end of this song my adrenaline will be spent. 

 

[:SITD:] – Brother Death

I hate you, you hate me, Brother Death is calling me.

This track kind of tones things down compared to the last song, but not too much. That “I hate you, you hate me” line reminds me a bit too much of the anti-Barney songs we used to sing in Elementary School though. “I hate you, you hate me. Let’s get together and kill Barney. With a great big axe and a loaded .44, no more purple dinosaur.” We all had such an irrational hatred for that purple dinosaur back in the 1990s. To this day I still do. I can’t explain why. I mean to be fair, Elmo from Sesame Street is probably even more irritating. My two year old has never watched an episode of Barney though, and it will stay that way.

 

Insane Clown Posse – Hate Her to Death

This track may seem out of place with the others if you go by the band name, but it’s not exactly. It’s a song about hating someone for not loving you back. It is the kind of feeling you would only get as a teenager or something. But perhaps it is something I remember. 


Orange Sector – I Hate You

 This is an essential hate song, for obvious reasons. Orange Sector has at least a couple good hate songs, this being one of them. The singer reminds me of Ren from Ren & Stimpy


Gwar – Hate Love Songs

I hate love songs! I hate lovers! I hate, everything that I can’t have, so I hate love!

A great song for those poor souls who are single on Valentine’s Day. I ought to know, I have still spent the majority of my Valentine’s Days single. 

 

Ayria – Friends and Enemies

It’s okay to hate your enemies, it’s either them or me, just want to break their things.

Is it okay to hate your enemies? Ayria seems to think so. Hate begets hate though. I did a pretty good writeup on this song back when I reviewed the album it appears on

 

Little Big – For the Haters

The word “hate” doesn’t appear in this song much. Instead the main word is “bitch”, pronounced “beetch” in a Russian accent. I love the insult in here “your dick is under six inches”. What a burn.

 

Orange Sector – I Spit on You

I spit on you, I spit in your face! I spit on you, I spit on your grave!

This song compliments the previous one by Orange Sector. “I spit on your grave” is an insult we don’t hear often enough. 

 

And One – H.A.T.E.

 I know, you know, what you gonna hate?

This is a cool-down song, which Spotify does not have unfortunately. So you can find it on YouTube. I was obsessed with this band for many years. Not sure what they’re up to these days. But this song is quite catchy. Not as angry as the last several.


Buzz Kull – Ode to Hate

 Once again, this track is more catchy than angry. I like the lyric “The world I’m living in makes no sense”, because it doesn’t. Hate itself makes very little sense sometimes. Particularly when based on race or nationality.


Voltaire – God Thinks

I hate people who blame the devil for their own shortcomings, and I hate people who thank God when things go right.

A very poignant song about how people in power twist the word of God to suit their own often hateful agendas. More of a rant set to music, really. 

 

Diary of Dreams – Play God

Why don’t you compensate all of my pain and hate?

Hate really isn’t the central subject of this song, but it is yet another calm down song. I needed a few of those after screaming along to Korn. 

 

And One – Save the Hate

Save, the hate, it’s another day. Don’t bring me down it’s far too late.

To me this song is about not giving into the hate, not letting the people who want you to be upset win. Just go on with your day, and save your hate for someone who has really earned it, at least. Don’t waste it on petty internet trolls the like. And it’s a great song to end the mix on for that lesson. 


Anyway, I hope you’ve enjoyed the mix if you decide to put it together yourself. What songs would you add? You can go ahead and let me know over on Facebook if you will (you can comment on Blogger, but it never lets me know when I get new comments). If I end up liking the suggestions maybe I can include them on a longer 90 minute cassette version of the mix. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment