Thursday, March 21, 2024

Today’s Mixtape: 1984 in Music

 






Way back in 2020, I did a blog post about the CD mix I made of 1984 in Music. A lot of those songs are on this tape too, but in the past 4 years I’ve discovered even more good, obscure 1984-released music.1984 was truly one of the best years of the 1980s for music. It seems like the last year of the first wave of Goth. I don’t know what happened in 1985, but there wasn’t as much good music from that year, at least in my opinion. My series of mix CDs dedicated to years made it all the way to the year 2010. I got stuck on 2011 because it was kind of a bad year for music, truth be told (2007-2012 were hard times for goth music in general, and I spent those years mostly listening to older music). I may still do more, as I can easily find enough songs for the subsequent years, but for now I feel like just making it a playlist, and saving the best songs on these little 1 hour cassettes. For some of the years, it’s a lot easier to make a playlist than trying to dig up 80 minutes of good music per year without repeating any bands. This tape is based on the 1984 section of my playlist The 1980s in Music. So here’s a nice mixture of goth rock, post punk, industrial, early grunge and pop music. The Ghostbusters soundtrack is of course well-represented. I needed to fill a little extra space at the end so I managed to squeeze “Crystal Tears” by Horrible Sexy Vampires on there, the shortest song on the list, by cutting out the intro. 


Side A


Mick Smiley - Magic
Paparazzi - In a Manner of Speaking
Colour Radio - Adrianna Dreams
Altar Ego - Altar Ego
Green River - New God
Scarecrow - Concrete is my Pillow
Garden of Delight - Blessed Minutes

Side B


Ministry - Every Day is Halloween 
Lost Loved Ones - The Dark
Skinny Puppy - Far too Frail
Echo & the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
Alessi - Savin’ the Day
Rockwell - Somebody’s Watching Me
A Drop in the Grey - All the Same
Horrible Sexy Vampires - Crystal Tears

No comments:

Post a Comment