Friday, April 3, 2020

1985 in Music




            The early-80’s are through, and now we move into perhaps the most iconic year of the decade, 1985. This mix will be a lot more mainstream than the previous few. I think by this time the New Wave movement was beginning to lose steam, sadly.

1985 in Culture and News


My 1985 collection; forgive the anachronistic DVD's.


            I think likely the most popular and iconic film of 1985 would have to be Back to the Future. 1985 was the year Doc Brown created and tested his DeLorean time machine, accidentally sending Marty to 1955. Another favorite movie of mine, which is criminally under-rated, is Return to Oz, which I’ve talked a little about on the blog before, and maybe one day I’ll do a full review of. It was the one chance the Oz book sequels had to be more well-known, but people had been brainwashed by the 1939 adaptation of The Wizard of Oz for too many decades, so it bombed. Another film out during this year was The Goonies, which a lot of people have fond nostalgic memories of, but I guess I was just not born at the right time for it. I’ve seen it before and it was okay. It’s like someone else’s childhood, not mine. Toward the end of the year was my favorite adaptation of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, a made-for-TV production and maybe one of the most book-accurate adaptations ever done (but with musical numbers). I’ll do a blog about that someday. And the Claymation film The Adventures of Mark Twain debuted, most well-known for its brief and memorable adaptation of Twain’s The Mysterious Stranger

            1985 was also the year that the Nintendo Entertainment System debuted in the United States. Truly the beginning of an era. The NES was my first game console, which I got maybe in 1990 I believe. Super Mario Bros. debuted as well. 1985 was also the year of the first WrestleMania. I used to have this on VHS but the tape degraded and threatened the health of my VCR when I tried to play it, so I got rid of it when I moved last summer. Now I wish I still had it for my blog. Oh well, nothing lasts forever, and I had to get rid of clutter. WrestleMania was something that improved with time, the first one isn’t all that good actually. A better WWF pay-per-view from 1985 though is The Wrestling Classic, a tournament from later in the year. I still have this recorded onto a blank tape. Probably the only way to watch it is to either have the WWE streaming service or track down the old VHS, but if you get the chance and like pro wrestling, I suggest seeing it.

1985 in Music

          
  My favorite album of 1985 would have to be New Order’s Low-Life. There aren’t a whole lot of entire albums from the year that I like. My Top 3 Songs of the Year for 1985 are “Perfect Kiss” by New Order, “Running up that Hill” by Kate Bush, and “Take on me” by A-Ha. As of late, I’ve been trying to be more honest with myself when it comes to the music I like. I don’t want to cling to songs that I think I should like but just don’t (either because I liked it a long time ago but my musical tastes changed, or because other goths like them, or whatever). Nor do I want to be ashamed to like music that I feel like I shouldn’t enjoy, for whatever reason (for instance, She Past Away, a Turkish goth band; or 80’s pop music like Paula Abdul). I just couldn’t find a lot of music from the year 1985 that I like, I’m going to be honest. But I filled the CD up with songs I at least kind of like. I suppose it was really more about setting the period. Maybe down the road I’ll find more songs from 1985 that I like, and remake the mix. At any rate, they were actually all on Spotify this time. Go ahead and listen along.
           



Super Mario Bros. Theme
           
            I bet you thought a song had to be done by a band and released on an album to qualify to be on these CD mixes. Well, no! It just has to be a song that was released in the year the CD covers. You’re not going to see video game music on these mixes that often, but every now and then I’ll throw one in to set the era. This is just here as an intro. So here we have the catchiest song on the album: World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. The first Super Mario Bros. game was never really my favorite (that would be Super Mario Bros. 3 to this day), but it’s pretty fun to play. I played it as a kid. It’s hard though, I‘ve only beaten it once or twice. But then, it was originally made to get you to keep putting quarters in the machine, so of course it’s hard.

Huey Lewis and the News – Back in Time

            This song will always make me think of Back to the Future. It was even the theme for the cartoon adaptation. I’m not really that into the band itself, which I suppose was pretty big at the time. It’s just here to set the tone for 1985, I don’t actually like the song all that much to be honest, but it’s okay.

Killing Joke – Eighties

            It’s fun when I can find a song from the 1980’s that’s actually about the 1980’s. This song is a nice little time capsule of the decade. In many ways I’m still “living in the 80’s” myself, what with my stubborn devotion to VHS, 80’s-style synth music and classic video games.

Kate Bush – Running up that Hill

            This is a deep song, but the true meaning of it wasn’t what I thought, and isn’t what most people probably think. I first thought it was sung by someone who lost their loved one and wishes it was themselves who died instead. But if you do a little research, the singer said it’s actually about wondering what it’s like to be the opposite gender and wishing you could temporarily switch genders with your lover. Oookay then. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

A Flock of Seagulls – How Could You Ever Leave Me?

            Once again, this band had other songs besides “I Ran”. This one I consider a bit mediocre, but it’s here to fill up space. My top three songs from this band are "I Ran", "Space Age Love Song", and "Nightmares". I should listen to more of their music and see if I come across others I like. But I know enough to know they didn't deserve to just be known as a one hit wonder.

A-Ha – Take On Me

             

This is a classic. It really deserved to be a hit. This is another of those music videos I can remember watching on MTV early in my childhood, so it’s been with me for a long time. The captivating story of a young comic artist who gets sucked into her own comic, falls in love with a character she designed, has to run away from some thugs, and eventually they both escape the comic world, the fictional character becoming real. As an aspiring webcomic artist myself I guess it hits home. Apparently there exists a sequel music video where the couple breaks up or something, but I refuse to watch it and have this perfect love story spoiled for me!

Weird Al Yankovic – Dare to be Stupid

            If Michael Sembello’s “Automatic man” is the most 80’s song ever, this is a close runner-up. Weird Al is of course a musical genius who has withstood the test of time to the point where more people are familiar with his songs than the songs that they parody. I’ve overlooked Devo in these mix CD’s, unfortunately, but this is sort of a tribute to Devo so there you go. We’ll be seeing more Weird Al from time to time on these mixes.


Sisters of Mercy – Black Planet

            Finally, we turn toward the goth scene of 1985, which apparently I need to do a little more research on. The 1980’s were a time of renewed fears of the Cold War leading to a nuclear apocalypse, which this song encapsulates with its images of a Europe plagued by radiation and acid rain. We’ve covered a couple other songs on this topic already as well (Ministry’s “Same Old Madness” for one).

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – Secret

            I actually first found out about this band when I found a used cassette of one of their albums at a thrift store. I still need to hear more, but I like it. This is another band that stayed active for decades after the 1980's, and certainly worth a listen.

The Cure – Close to Me

            Aw man, what happened to The Cure for them to go from being goth rock to an 80’s pop band in two short years? The goths have largely forgiven Robert Smith for this by now but I’m pretty sure his old fanbase was displeased at the time. Although it gained The Cure widespread notoriety. This song is catchy at least, with its xylophone and such. We’d get the old The Cure back when Disintegration was released a few years later.

Tom Petty – Don’t Come Around Here No More

             

So the made-for-TV Alice in Wonderland wasn’t the only adaptation in 1985. We also got the bizarre music video for this song, which I remember kind of freaking me out when I was a kid. Tom Petty makes a good Mad Hatter, but the video consists of him and his guests slicing Alice up like a cake at their tea party and eating her. The only thing the TV movie has that can compete with it in weirdness is that random scene where Carol Channing as the White Queen turns into a sheep. 

Dead or Alive – You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)

            This song is always a fun one, sung by the only 80’s singer who approached Boy George in flamboyance. Between the two though I’ve always preferred Dead or Alive. This is their one hit wonder. I’ve heard some of their other songs, and from what I can tell, they all kind of sound like this. It’s like AC/DC, but flamboyant.

New Order – The Perfect Kiss

            My favorite part of this song is the random intermission with the frog croaks. I used to theorize it must be some reference to the fairy tale The Frog Prince, where a princess kisses a frog and it becomes a prince. Then again, the lead singer admitted he just threw the effect in because he liked it. The lyrics themselves also don’t really have meaning. That’s the thing with art. People interpret it in their own way and think it’s deep, when the artist could have just thrown it together for the hell of it.

Dokken – In My Dreams

            Dokken is an okay band. When we get to 1986 we’ll hear the one Dokken song that I actually do kind of like. This one’s just “okay”. I suppose hair metal deserves some representation in these 80’s mixes, so here it is.

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus

            This is a song I’ve always kind of liked. A tribute to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Falco was big in Germany, as I learned in my outdated German language textbooks in high school which were made when there was still an East and West Germany.  “Ich liebe Falco!” There are a couple different versions of this song. The one that kind of irritates me is the one that starts with a woman repeatedly saying “Ooh! Rock me Amadeus!” The other versions are alright. The German industrial metal band Megaherz did a pretty nice cover of the song in 2003, if you’re into that. 

Death in June – The Calling


             

Ah, check out this video to the song with all these classic 80’s goths, who are cooler than I could ever hope to be. Yes, this is another 1985 goth song I was able to uncover. It sounds really ahead of its time, at least to me. I could see this coming out today. Goth music is timeless. Anyway, Death in June has been around a long while and is still active today, in fact. Their Wikipedia page was an eye-opener; I’d never heard of them before making this mix. 

Concluding Remarks


            This mix will still grow and evolve over time. This is just how it stands now. Anyway, next time we get to cover a year that’s very special to me; the year I was born! Am I a narcissist? I hope not. But 1986 was a great year for music. We’ve got Peter Gabriel, more New Order, Kraftwerk’s last original album for a long, long while, Metallica, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment