Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Reflections on Birthright Armenia – Part I: The Journey to Armenia




            After graduating with my Master’s degree, I was looking for a way to gain some work experience. I had first been to Armenia in the summer of 2014, a class trip orchestrated by the Armenian Studies Department at Fresno State (I’ll probably blog about this in June). Eager to return, I signed up with Birthright Armenia to do an internship in Armenia. Birthright Armenia offers a unique opportunity for young Armenian diasporans to travel to their ancestral homeland and experience it in a way that would be impossible as a mere tourist. This organization will take you in and find you an internship as long as you have at least a quarter Armenian ancestry (like myself) and are under the age of 32, and will reimburse your plane tickets if you stay in Armenia a certain number of months. They also organize excursions nearly every weekend, and have various other meetings and activities. They’re based mainly in the capital city of Yerevan, but during the summer they also provide the option to intern in the cities of Gyumri or Vanadzor (I eventually went to Vanadzor, and this would be my favorite part of the whole trip). It was a life-changing experience for sure, and I’m really grateful that I got to do it.

Birthright Armenia is a great thing to do if you have the time and money for it. I had the time after graduation, but didn’t always have the money. It was a small miracle I got to do it at all. I really only got to go in the first place due to my beloved Aunt Sharon giving me the money for the plane ticket (which you do have to pay for upfront before you can be reimbursed). I would have done a lot more while I was in Armenia if I’d had the funds (these are unpaid internships, mind you, which is something to think about if you plan on doing this; I couldn’t exactly get a job). They put you with a host family, who you are expected to pay about the equivalent of $80 a month (40,000 drams); a very low and reasonable amount compared to what you’d be paying for the same thing in the U.S., but if you’re broke and not making any money, it still isn’t easy. You’re supposed to pay to go on the excursions too. I understood not everything could be free, but I also originally thought I’d be getting a monthly stipend right away to help with expenses, but that actually doesn’t happen until you’ve been there for four months. Until then you’re on your own. I had money when I got to Armenia, but after about two months paying for rent, excursions, food and other things I was barely scraping by, having my fiancé back in Florida sell off a few of my possessions like my old game consoles and then wire me the money, and getting help from my parents and relatives. I do think the organizers of Birthright Armenia want their organization to be open to anyone (as long as they’re an adult under 32 with Armenian ancestry), but the program really seems geared toward people who are much wealthier than I. An organization where you’re supposed to travel to another country to do an unpaid internship would have to be. But, I suppose this should have been more obvious to me at the time. It makes sense looking back now. As I said, if you have the time and money for Birthright Armenia, you’ll have a blast.

            It’s been five years since I got on that plane. I can’t believe it’s been that long. I felt like I was doing something crazy, getting on that plane and traveling to the other side of the planet all by myself. My first time doing this I’d been with a group. Now it was just me. But, I did it anyway. It was sad saying farewell to my fiancé Deborah. But we knew we would be reunited in six months. I was traveling to Armenia from April 1st to the 2nd. This was almost 24 full hours of travel with four connecting flights, during which I managed only very little sleep, mainly during my final flight. I went from Tampa to Washington D.C., from there to Munich, Germany, then to Vienna, Austria, and finally to Yerevan, Armenia. Munich to Vienna was the shortest, but also the scariest neck of the journey, as we hit a lot of turbulence and I was almost sure we were going to crash. But, fortunately we made it. There was something rather appropriate about getting there via Austria. My paternal Grandmother grew up in Austria, who married my Armenian grandfather Suren. I really wish I could have seen more of Germany and Austria, but at least I got to enjoy their airports. Finally, my German classes in High School paid off, for a few hours at least. I even posted in German on Facebook while there to update my family on my trip:


“Ich bin jetzt im Österreich! Es regnet heute und ist sehr kalt. Im München mein Wi-Fi hat nicht gearbeitet, aber ich habe bilder genehmen mit mein Handy. Ich habe Bratwurst gegessen und Deutsches bier getranken im ein Deutsches Restaurant. Es war sehr lecker”.
            “I’m now in Austria! It’s raining today, and very cold. In Munich my Wi-Fi didn’t work, but I took some pictures with my phone. I ate bratwurst and drank German beer in a German restaurant. It was very tasty.”

            Yeah, I was being a bit of a show-off, I guess.




            I got to Armenia in the dead of night, but by then I had lost all perception of time anyway. Sleep deprived and barely aware of my surroundings, I was picked up by a taxi driver, a ride arranged by Birthright Armenia, and taken to an apartment building in the northern Yerevan neighborhood of Arabkir, where I would be staying with my host parents; a nice elderly couple named Hasmik and Alek. Hasmik was a retired opera singer, and Alek an Armenian from Georgia who often went back to visit relatives; I can’t remember what his profession had been before he retired. I spent more time with Hasmik. They hosted Birthright Armenia interns as an extra form of income. They lived on the tenth floor of the apartment building. I had arrived on Easter of that year, so the next night we had a big dinner, with eggs, fish and rice with raisins. This is a traditional Easter dinner in Armenia. I had my own little spare room, with a bed, desk and wardrobe, and a view of the hills to the northeast toward the Kotayk province, still sprinkled with snow in early April. 


I had asked for a host family that spoke English because my Armenian was rather beginner-level, but there weren’t enough English-speakers to go around. So, for the four months I was there we had to make do with what Armenian I did know; mostly the Western dialect I had learned at Fresno State, which is not the dialect spoken in Armenia. If it hadn’t been for the language barrier maybe we would have formed a deeper bond. I kind of regret that, for the most part, I kept to myself while I was there. I’m kind of antisocial anyway, but with the addition of a language barrier I became even more antisocial. Not that we never spoke of course, because we did. But I lacked the vocabulary to properly express myself. I couldn’t very well, for instance, tell her about my childhood, my family history, or show her the books I’d been writing. The apartment had no internet either, so I really was quite isolated, in a country where very few people spoke my first language.

Stupid building, blocking my view of Mt. Ararat from the kitchen window.

Eventually I was able to get a cheap cell phone which operated much like a pay phone, so I could call my fiancé and family. But that cost money, I wasn’t able to do it all the time. If you’ve never gone a full day without anyone speaking to you in English, or whatever’s your first language, you should try it sometime. It’s kind of surreal. I think everyone should experience that at least once. It certainly gave me more sympathy for immigrants to America who may not speak English very well. You don’t know what it’s like until going through it yourself. It was interesting what I gravitated towards during these isolating times, before I eventually got used to being in Armenia. When I could get internet, such as at the Birthright Armenia offices, I would often download videos from YouTube onto my laptop to watch at home later. It was a small taste of the familiar. I binged on Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges, old cartoons and television shows I grew up with, many things. It wasn’t that I really missed America, aside from my family of course, I just missed familiarity. I missed hearing the English language because I had heard it every day of my life until then.

Despite this feeling of intense isolation for my first couple weeks or so, Armenia feels like a second home to me and did then as well. My first outings involved exploring the neighborhood on foot, trying and often failing to reach landmarks, getting lost a few times and needing to take a taxi or a bus home. My actual internship would start around two weeks after I arrived; teaching a summer Creative Writing course at the American University of Armenia. Of course, it would be nearly two months before this class would take place. This would prove to be far more time than I needed to prepare. That is a blog for another time. For the next six months, I plan on writing about the key events that happened while I was interning in Armenia, on the 5th anniversaries of when they happened. I’ll talk about all of the challenges as well as the magical moments I had. Partly because I don’t want to forget that they happened. The more time that goes by, the more the whole thing feels like it was all just a dream. It’s sad, really. I want to go back. I haven’t been back to Armenia since October of that year. At the time, I really thought I would have gone back by now. It’s certainly not because I don’t want to return to Armenia. But, money is always an issue. Such is life, sadly. I think I’ll be back in Armenia eventually, somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment