Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Painful Task of Prioritizing Side Projects



            As of late I’ve been trying my best to eliminate distractions, and prioritize. My attention has been divided on side projects for so long I’ve been forgetting what my main project was supposed to be. At the moment, I have two finished novel drafts on my hard drive (and backed up on flash drives, don’t worry). I’ve also been working on this blog, and I’ve been developing a webcomic. I found myself at a crossroads after finishing the first draft of the second novel; and I’ve finally chosen a path. I want to buckle down and focus most of my effort on my upcoming webcomic. I’m organizing my priorities. Anyway, I’m going to do a run down on all the projects I’m juggling right now; more so I can keep track of it all.


Priority 1: Loose-Headed Harry

            This is my webcomic. Earlier this year I finally had enough money to buy a good tablet and an art program, so now I’m finally ready to make it a reality through digital art. It’s based on a comic I used to draw in High School. It was originally a gag comic where this unfortunate, bullied teen gets decapitated in gruesome and creative ways. The new incarnation will be something much deeper; a dramedy that explores themes of bullying, and examines and ridicules the American education system. It is set in an exaggerated reality. I liken it to the kind of worlds Johnen Vasquez’s works are set in, such as in Invader Zim and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. It’s reminiscent of the way I looked at the world as a teen, where the teachers are all sadists participating in a conspiracy to make the student’s lives a living hell. It goes back and forth between fantasy and realism. Anyway, I’m going to have to come up with a good summary of it. That’s always the hardest part when it comes to writing; actually explaining what your story is about in a few sentences.
            I’ve chosen to make this project my main focus. As it stands, I think this is the one project that I have the highest chance of being able to monetize. And that might mean fewer blogs.

Priority 2: The Flutterbudgets of Oz

            As I mentioned, I have a finished draft of a novel sitting on my hard drive, it's the first book in this two-part series set in L. Frank Baum’s land of Oz. I can do this because it’s public domain. It’s high-brow fan fiction, essentially. I spent all of last year and the beginning of this year writing it as my primary project; it was something I was just motivated to write. I had to write it. I’m currently waiting to see how it’s going to be published, but the prospect of it getting published looks promising. I’m going to remain a bit tight-lipped on this project for the time being, but you’ll hear all about it from me eventually. The sequel to the first book is one of my current side projects; and I’m well aware the first book probably has a lot of editing to be done, as any finished draft does.

Priority 3: This Blog: My Memoir

            I started this blog as a means to cope with a deep depression, and it has helped. It’s my memoir. I’ve somewhat given up on the idea of actually trying to traditionally publish a memoir. It’s hard enough to publish fiction. It might be fun to self-publish a memoir someday, whenever I have enough money to throw away doing that, but until then I’m better off just posting my memoir here, and hoping Blogspot doesn’t cease to exist or a solar flare doesn’t permanently knock out the internet. Features like the Years in Music and Birthright Armenia Reflections blogs are something I write because I enjoy it, whether a lot of people end up reading it or not. Another reason this blog exists is to boost my portfolio. Every writer has a blog somewhere that they can guide literary agents to. So that’s also what this is. It’s been taking up a lot of my time though. Those Years in Music articles take a lot of time to write, and I don’t make any money doing it, nor do many people even read them. I don’t think people want to read about music they’ve never heard of or wouldn’t like if they did hear it. I don’t write for the money, of course. But society being what it is, I need to gain imaginary numbers with my work to be permitted to continue doing it.
            The conclusion I’ve come to is the blog is going to have to take a back seat to the comic, and is even a lesser priority than the Oz novels, at least right now. I do still want to write for the joy of writing, so I’m not going to stop blogging completely. Writing is still a good therapy for me so I will keep doing it.

Priority 4: The Immortal Tales

            This is the novel series that I’ve wanted to write since I was a teenager; following a group of immortals throughout history as they do their best to prevent a mask that is possessed by a malevolent dragon spirit from falling into the wrong hands. It’s historical fantasy that gradually becomes urban fantasy as it gets closer to modern times. The first book in the series was to take place in the Kingdom of Urartu (ancient Armenia). I have a finished draft of the book, which last year I actually was trying to send out to literary agents with query letters, with no luck. Now of course you can send queries to hundreds of agents and get dozens of rejections before anyone says they’re interested. That’s expected. I actually had two agents say they were interested before they never contacted me back again. I waited, and waited. I got more and more rejections. And as I did, I grew more and more discouraged with the whole publishing world. “Oh, think about how many times J.K Rowling got rejected”, they all say. It’s like playing the lottery. Now I’m thinking that starting the first book in the series in a setting that the average American has neither heard of nor cares about probably isn’t the best thing to do from a marketing standpoint, and is probably why I was getting so many rejections. If I want this series to be published by a traditional publisher, I have to start thinking like them, as difficult as it is for me to get into that mindset. So instead I’m going to have a story from later in the series be the first book. This one takes place in contemporary times, in America. The Urartu book will be kind of a prequel that gets released later. Now, I just have to write the next book. Sigh…I’ve been too busy with other things. Worst case scenario with this series (besides it never getting written), I could end up self-publishing it, and probably selling two copies a year because I have no money to market it. Might as well put it online for free and ask for donations, really. Anyway, this project is on the back burner right now. 

Priority 5: Everything Else

            There are other art and writing things I do, but, they should be the lowest priority at this point. I’m probably going to end up doing some of these anyway, but I shouldn’t devote too much of my energy on them. Another thing that should be included here is social media and such. I need to go on Facebook and Reddit less often.
           
            Will I be able to keep these priorities in order? I’ll try. But as a result, I’m probably going to be posting on the blog less often.

No comments:

Post a Comment