Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Six Fan Arts Challenge


I know I just did a whole blog post about how I was going to prioritize from now on, but I already had this in the works before I decided on that. Anyway, this meme has been circulating on Facebook quite a bit lately in all the art and animation groups, where an artist will choose to take requests from their friends or whoever on what six characters to draw.

I've been wanting to practice using the Comic Draw app, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. So see, it is productive, it's practice! I took all the characters requested and picked six at random (sorry if I didn't get to yours). Now a few of these certainly need an explanation. I'll just run down the list.


Rick and Morty - Requested by Erika Oganessian

I've seen and enjoyed this cartoon, and in fact I've even doodled the characters before, so this was a good one to start with. 


Olaf (being Melted by a Blow Torch) - Requested by Deborah Oganessian

My wife showed her sadistic side by requesting this one. But since that damned annoying snowman has to be my least favorite Disney character (even worse than the stupid gargoyles from Hunchback of Notre Dame), the drawing was quite cathartic.


Peridot - Requested by Erika Oganessian

My sister lucked out and got two of her requests. Peridot is from the cartoon Steven Universe, initially a villain before turning over a new leaf. I liked her better when she was a villain, of course, but she's still amusing afterward. 


Jareth the Goblin King - Requested by Mitchell Mayle

I named my son after this character so how could I not jump at the chance? Of course this was chosen at random though. Jareth is David Bowie's character in the film Labyrinth. He rules the Goblin Kingdom, which consists of a huge labyrinth. I never knew how many people had never heard of this movie until I named my son Jareth. It's really sad. But I think I did a good job on this drawing.


Spawn - Requested by Salvador Coveiro

I know next to nothing about Spawn, to be quite honest. The only real superhero comics I read are Batman.That said I still think I did a pretty good job on this drawing.


Chef Astaroth - Requested by Kris Kritscher

This request was an in-joke and has a backstory. Back in my early days of college I did this fan comic about Astartoth from the Soul Calibur video games having his own cooking show, where he invited guests from obscure video games to work on recipes and such. And it usually never ended well. Maybe I'll scan them and post them up someday. I do still have the notebooks. 


Anyway, this was fun. Still focusing on my webcomic for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment